how can I test my new hard-drive

MASTON

Hi chaps,

How can I test my new hard-drive, is there some kind of free testing software that I can just leave on that'll put it through it's paces, and like, simulate a few months work in a few days..

It's an IBM 60GXP 60GB (Yeah, I know, there were problems, but I've got it now and I can't change it)

Also, I'd quite to hear some positive reports about this drive on the reliability front, as I'm feeling a bit weighed down by the negative ones I heard. Anybody out there??

cheers

Maston

To be honest, I may have the same drive. (but I hope not if you've gotten bad reviews). I picked it up at a swap meet about a year and a half ago. I do know it's an IBM 60gb, but I'm not sure of the model - I'll have to check when I get home. If I do have the same one, I've had no problems with it whatsoever, and I've given it workouts from hell :)

You could use something like SiSoft Sandra, that has nice continuous benchmark to run it through the ringers.

You can download a software from IBM called DFT (drive fitness test) used to check hard drives.

Uh... newbie-level question here. What can this kind of software tell you about your system's performance that you don't already know from the specsheet?

1) Most of the time, the stuff we use doesn't perform to the provided specs in the real world.

2) When parts don't play nice together, the problems are easier to track

3) You can give your parts a work-out to make sure they're not going to puke when the timing would suck (as is the case of the poster in this thread)

4) Parts can be tested beyond average use to find potential problems, or flaky hardware

Back