How Can I Set This Up For Decent Recording??

lowbudgetrecord

I got some equipment, but its not all set up.
I was woundering if someone can tell me whats a good way to set it up

I got a laptop with a recording software "Audacity" with a 1 x Phone 1/8"(Microphone) jack

fostex multitracker 4 tracks tape

14 Channel Mixer Peavey Rq 2314

peavey 2000 poweramp

dual 15 band eq stageworks

rackrider powerconditioner

mics

drums
guitar
bass
keyboard

monitors.

CHORDS

Thats pretty much whats there to be set up.
if you can help me with a set up id appreciate it.

I am mostly having trouble connectiing my mixer to my computer. can someone give me an idea of how i can connect a 14 channel mixer to my laptop?????

IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE.

I got some equipment, but its not all set up.
I was woundering if someone can tell me whats a good way to set it up

I got a laptop with a recording software "Audacity" with a 1 x Phone 1/8"(Microphone) jack

fostex multitracker 4 tracks tape

14 Channel Mixer Peavey Rq 2314

peavey 2000 poweramp

dual 15 band eq stageworks

rackrider powerconditioner

mics

drums
guitar
bass
keyboard

monitors.

CHORDS

Thats pretty much whats there to be set up.
if you can help me with a set up id appreciate it.

I am mostly having trouble connectiing my mixer to my computer. can someone give me an idea of how i can connect a 14 channel mixer to my laptop?????

IF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Do you want each track separate? Well it can be done, but you need a new interface(soundcard). However, you have a 4-track recorder, so why not record to that, then send track one and two(kick and snare) to the pc, and record as stereo, then three and four(overheads). Then you can record each other track(bass, guitar, etc)individually to the pc.

What inputs does your laptop have? Just mic, or does it have line-in too? If just mic, is there a way to swap this to line-in, on the pc(there should be)? Also, what inputs and outputs does your 4-track have?

I don't really know what you could use the EQ and poweramp for. I take it you do live sound?

The only input my laptop has is the mic. Theres no line in(that I know of), Im pretty sure there aint one.

But I do have a pc that has been cleaned out completely and Im willing to dedicate it to recording. My PC does have a line-in.

The 4-Track has Left/Right Main and Headphone Outputs.
It only has a mic/guitar Input.

So all I wound have to do is buy an Interface and Id be pretty much set?
What exactly is and what does it do?

I appreciate the help a bunch, thanks

-lowbudgetrecord

The only input my laptop has is the mic. Theres no line in(that I know of), Im pretty sure there aint one.

But I do have a pc that has been cleaned out completely and Im willing to dedicate it to recording. My PC does have a line-in.

The 4-Track has Left/Right Main and Headphone Outputs.
It only has a mic/guitar Input.

So all I wound have to do is buy an Interface and Id be pretty much set?
What exactly is and what does it do?

I appreciate the help a bunch, thanks

-lowbudgetrecord
Well, if you wanna use the pc, then use the line-in. But with your laptop, there should be a way to swap it to line-in by changing some settings(maybe in control panel, sounds).

An interface would make things a whole lot easier. An interface is basically a sound card. It gets sound to and from your pc. Budget interfaces generally have their own AD/DA conversion, and can come with preamps too, and even control surfaces(basically all in one).

I take it that you want to use your mixer for recording? If so, then you need an interface without preamps, like the echo audiofire 12, which allows upto 12i/o, most like this only allow 8i/o. Otherwise, you could get something like the Presonus Firepod(now FP10).

Instead of spending 600 bucks though, on that Echo Audifire, u could also get an M-audio delta 44, which has 4 of those line ins for 150.

Instead of spending 600 bucks though, on that Echo Audifire, u could also get an M-audio delta 44, which has 4 of those line ins for 150.
You're right, but he might need more than 4 i/os, and the echos have better converters than the m-audio deltas

If portability and space are not issues then use the PC. With what you have (maybe not the best but it will work) you can use the mixer>Fostex>PC. Use mics into the mixer as you normaly would, then lines out (stereo) to two chanels on the Fostex, use the line out and the monitor out if its a mono mixer, depending on how you set the levels this will serve as a pan control. Set the recording volumes on the Fostex so they barely bump into the red. From the line outs (stereo) on the Fostex (you will need a stereo RCA>1/8 mini adapter cable) go to the line in on the PC. You will only be able to record two tracks at a time using this method. Be sure to set "record stereo track" under preferances in Audacity or you will only record in mono. It's a matter of adjusting volumes and balance once you get everything connected but this method will work and should only cost you a few dollars for an adapter cable. You will need to adjust levels on the mixer carefully to get a good balance but with a little patience it can be done, I know cause I've recorder quite a bit using a very similar set up. As I already said, it may not be the best way but it will work. One more thing, if you have a latency problem when adding tracks you can lower the playback level in Audacity to help reduce it, then increase the volume in your (powered) monitors so you can hear what you are doing. I hope this helps, good luck.

Back