How can I play my Vinyl Record player through my Presonus firebox?

RFrecordings

I just acquired an old record player (Pioneer PL-640), but am not 100% on how to play it through my current setup. What I have now is just my Macbook, connected to my Presonus firebox via firewire. The firebox is then ran into 2 m-audio BX5a speakers.

Usually I only need to play music from my macbook so I've ran into a little bit of trouble with this. Any help?

Have a look and see what kind of outputs the record player has. You might need to buy some adapters or something.

You will want an RIAA corrected(not sure if I'm using the right term) preamp for the turntables signal.

Some kind of crazy rca to trs adapter...

4inch-stereo-male-2rca-male-y-adapter.jpg

As shepdog said....something for the signal too.

I did it once with my Firebox...maybe I just mic'd the speakers that came with the turntable.

Anyway, I put a few old records onto cd for my grandmother

Those line level inputs are balanced mono, correct? Can the line level ins on the Firebox accept unbalanced signals? Then just a RCA to TS adapter would be required after the phono stage.

You cannot plug a standard turntable outlet into a line level input. The turntable out let is not at line level so the signal is weak, it also has the wrong bias so even if you turned it up the sound will be lacking. A cheap priced preamp that will connect between the turntable and the Firebox is this.

Another method is to find an old Hifi amp with a Phono input, connect the turntable to the phono input and connect the line output (record out) of the hifi amp to the input of the Firebox. The signal through the hifi amp from the phono is direct so the volume / tone settings of the hi fi amp do not effect the sound.

Cheers
Alan.

hmm, thought my phono to TRS adapter into the preamp on my firebox was going to be enough as far as needing a preamp went. I'll pick one of those phono preamps up soon though. Appreciate the help everyone.

You need more than a preamp. As Shepdog said, you need an RIAA eq filter. You can get a USB unit that has an integrated filter. Something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ARTUSBPHONOPLUSV2

Most Hi-Fi's have Phono In's. You can run through one of them then out the Aux to your firebox, that would work. (Edit: Oops, Witzendoz said the same thing, so +1 to him.)

Back