How can I multi-track with my current setup?

Snap

I have a Mackie 1202 mixer going into my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum and recording in Adobe Audition. Currently I'm running from the 1/4" main outs in the mixer to a 1/4" Y-adapter into the front panel 1/4" input for the sound card.

A friend told me I could kind of multi-track by panning left a right, but it won't work because (I'm guessing) I'm not using stereo 1/4" cables coming out of the mixer.

And then another friend of mine said that I could multi-track with Hosa fiber optic cables that can be plugged into the optical in on my sound card, but I have no idea how that would work or even if it would work with my setup.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to maybe multi-track about 4 or 5 different channels. What would be the easiest (and cheapest) way to do this? What type of equipment would I need to buy?

panning the channels hard left and right will have to do the job in your situation, if everything's connected well. Just arm some tracks for recording either the left or the right input, and 'disarm' them after recording, arming new tracks for further channels.
Of course you can't record more than two separate channels at the same time.

Pan one channel right and one left. Since you only have the one input on your sound card, you cant use the left and right mains from your mixer so try comming out of PHONES to your soundcard. This will only take one stereo cable. And it is right that you can only record 2 channels at once this way. the only way to get more than 2 is to get a multi-input soundcard.

thajeremy said:
Since you only have the one input on your sound card, you cant use the left and right mains from your mixer

Of course you can, but you need an Y-split adapter cable. Results will be much better than using the headphone bus.

Snap said:
And then another friend of mine said that I could multi-track with Hosa fiber optic cables that can be plugged into the optical in on my sound card, but I have no idea how that would work or even if it would work with my setup.
That's fine, but considering the 1202 mixer doesn't have ANY digital output, much less 8-channels of it, your friend's comment makes absolutely no sense..........

F_cksia said:
Of course you can, but you need an Y-split adapter cable. Results will be much better than using the headphone bus.

um...yea...that would have been my next suggestion...lol

I just recently heard about the Mackie Onyx series mixers.

You can buy an optional firewire connection card for up to 16 channel multi-track recording to your computer and stereo return to the mixer.

If it's as good as they say it is, I would like to buy one. Because for a home studio budget it's cheaper than me having to get a new audio card and preamp setup for multi-track recording.

Anyone know if it's compatible with Adobe Audition and/or an Audigy 2 Platinum sound card?

Back