How can I mix down this tune.....?

DJ Strutt

Hey.

I have a tune which is sequenced in Cubase, and I want to mix it down on a mixing desk we have at Uni (mackie 8 bus). The problem is...how can I get the track to Uni?? Because...there are no PCs in the studios...just 8 track digital recorders, MD, CD players etc etc. I thought about taking my PC to the studio....but my soundcard dosnt have multiple outputs, so it would be impossible. I also thought about recording each track seperatly in a row onto a MD and then playing them live (kinda) and overdubbing then onto the 8 track....but then I realised the song has more that 8 tracks (about 20ish) and so that would be impossible...because once the first 8 tracks have been recorded and would have no where else to put the rest!

Can someone help please? Thanks.

I hope that all made sense :rolleyes: lol

If you have 20 tracks to mix, youmight not wanna bring them to a 8 track studio to mix.....

yeah...sounds like you need a soundcard with the number of outputs to match your track count. or....a PC ADAT edit card, or something of that nature to transfer tracks....but yeah...if the studio only has 8 tracks...you are shit out of luck anyway. I'd look at maybe a used 20 bit Layla (pair)...or something along those lines, if you want to keep the cost down. (like maybe $600 for both if you look around). That would give you 20 outs and 2 pairs of SPDIF. Otherwise, MOTU.

Sorry....I meant to say that is being mixed down onto Minidisk. And the Mackie has 24 inputs and 8 group outputs. So it the channels can be grouped together etc, not that that is actually needed...cos its going straight on to MD, just need to find a way to get the track into the desk lol :rolleyes:

How many 8-track digital recorders do they have? Do they slave them together? If you could find a way to sync those to your computer, you might be able to transfer a couple of tracks at a time to them. I'm far from an expert on this, but maybe even just striping one of the 8 tracks with time code and then getting your computer to follow it might work. But it may not be accurate enough. Also, it would it would take up studio time. Anyway, just an idea.

F_cksia
Sure, he could bounce the tracks, but wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of mixing at another studio? The bounced tracks would already BE mixed.

DJ
I don't think there is anyway you can do this with the equipment you have. The ADAT edit card or something similar would probably be your best bet. You'd have to bring the PC to the studio though. Dumping one track at a time to a digital recorder (if they even have 24 tracks) would probably be a little tedious.

Why do you want to mix down to MD anyway? I understand that the D8B would be pretty fun to mix down with, but I think you could probably achieve better results with software mixing, good plugins and a CDR drive. Does the studio have a stand alone CDR?

Just my 2 cents.

JimH said:
If you could find a way to sync those to your computer, you might be able to transfer a couple of tracks at a time to them. I'm far from an expert on this, but maybe even just striping one of the 8 tracks with time code and then getting your computer to follow it might work. But it may not be accurate enough. Also, it would it would take up studio time. Anyway, just an idea.

Yeah. That's not a bad idea. Check to see if their recorders have MTC or MIDIClock. You can sync the PC up to the recorders and transfer two tracks at a time. However, this could get expensive for studio time.

Matt

Back