How can i make a good bad drum recording?

analogdrone

So there seems to be an inability on my part to find out how to make a good BAD drum recording. Should I just bus them all into a DS-1? :thumbs up:

I guess what I'm looking for is something pretty genre specific, but I'm looking to achieve a drum sound that is pretty trashy (kinda post punky, mostly really trashy sounding snare). What are some good resources or general advice to getting a "hi-fi lo-fi" kit sound.

Mics, positioning, (simple) signal chain suggestions?

So there seems to be an inability on my part to find out how to make a good BAD drum recording. Should I just bus them all into a DS-1? :thumbs up:

I guess what I'm looking for is something pretty genre specific, but I'm looking to achieve a drum sound that is pretty trashy (kinda post punky, mostly really trashy sounding snare). What are some good resources or general advice to getting a "hi-fi lo-fi" kit sound.

Mics, positioning, (simple) signal chain suggestions?

Post some Youtube examples of what you mean, because I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. xD

Just make sure your drums sound good. Put them in a lively space with room mics. A "trashy" snare is almost always an open and ringy snare with a lot of overtones captured with a lot of room in the track. Hard compression of the room mics helps too.

You could try CamelCrusher, if I understand what you're trying to achieve.
I've used it to grit up some drum tracks and it was quite successfull.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) :)

I'm sure "Trashy" means different things to different people. For instance, in my opinion, there are a 1,000 rookies in here who are good at making trashy sounding recordings. Just buy cheap mics and record in an untreated room. This should get you close.

I'm thinking big, live room, with compressed room mics will get you started. If you have any 'vintage' mics or equipment, now is the time.

In my mind I'm thinking of some certain recordings that The Melvins have done. I believe the album is Stoner Witch? Its got some HUGE drums, but they're all pretty trashy when you really listen.

Also, minimal mics might be something to try out... like 2 overheads, kick and snare, and 2 room mics, or even get rid of the spot mics entirely.

so hard compression on room? maybe a mono OH? kick and snare through some distortion? sounds like good advice to me! thanks ya'll will be experimenting soon!

this is a demo of the song i'll be recording so maybe having the actual song present could help with further suggestions

http://picosong.com/nt7t/

(didnt do the demo)

We just finished recording a 4 piece kit this weekend where we close mic'd the 4 drums as well as 2 overheads and a room mic about 10' in front of the kit about 8' off the ground.
When I solo'd the room mic, I heard what I would call a trashy punk rock sound. With some heavy compression and a little EQ, I think that'd get you there.

Back