how can I improve my raw recording?

bball_1523

I just recorded a brief riff with drums and a synth pad. I am a beginner at mixing and making all the instruments blend well together so I want to get some tips on making my track sound better with all the included instruments.

here is a clip of the track:

how can I make sure the synth blends in well with the rest of the track?

how do I get my guitars to sound more even with the rest of the instruments?

what else can I do to make the track sound mixed well?

Last edited:
The first key to mixing is to know that it's not the same as live sound mixing. You have to use eq to make stuff like your guitars smaller in tone so something else can be heard. There's so much bass and lower mids on the guitars you can't hear the bass, kick or synths.

Think of the mix like one large glass you're filling from 5 other glasses. If each of the smaller glasses is full, and the sum total of all that liquid is too much for the large glass to contain, you have to pour out some of the liquid in each of the smaller glasses. This is a crude illustration of mixing and you use volume and eq to make each of the instruments just the right size and tone to fit with each other.

Also, don't eq things while soloing them, because you'll make each instrument too large to fit together. Always eq with all instruments up.

Try using a high pass filter at about 150 - 200hz on the guitars and synths.

The next thing to use is panning to physically separate some of the elements.

Good luck and have fun.

screws said:
The first key to mixing is to know that it's not the same as live sound mixing. You have to use eq to make stuff like your guitars smaller in tone so something else can be heard. There's so much bass and lower mids on the guitars you can't hear the bass, kick or synths.

Think of the mix like one large glass you're filling from 5 other glasses. If each of the smaller glasses is full, and the sum total of all that liquid is too much for the large glass to contain, you have to pour out some of the liquid in each of the smaller glasses. This is a crude illustration of mixing and you use volume and eq to make each of the instruments just the right size and tone to fit with each other.

Also, don't eq things while soloing them, because you'll make each instrument too large to fit together. Always eq with all instruments up.

Try using a high pass filter at about 150 - 200hz on the guitars and synths.

The next thing to use is panning to physically separate some of the elements.

Good luck and have fun.

thanks for the quick tip. Do any of you have any beginner EQ tutorials to work with mixing down basic songs like mine?

Back