How can I handle problematic vocal tracks?

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
Many years ago, I recorded a piece using a Fostex A8LR (8-track, 1/4" analog tape machine). 3 of the 5 tracks were devoted to vocals. Because of the limited number of tracks and my aversion to bouncing, each vocal track has 2 voices, one male, one female, singing harmony, and recorded with reverb. Of the three tracks, two are, essentially doubled (minor differences in small harmony sections) and the third is counterpoint.

I digitized each of the 8 tracks, stuck them into Audition 3.0, and started working with the piece. The instrumental tracks came out pretty well, even though some of those were bounced with multiple instruments. The vocals, however, are only just okay. I've tried EQ'ing, chorusing, reverb and just about everything else in my extremely limited bag of tricks, but without much success. Bottom line is the combination of having two voices, both reverbed, on each track is incredibly limiting.

I've found some "reverb remover" VSTs, but they seem most effective for drums, i.e. impulse-sounds, rather than voices, particularly sustained voices.

Any ideas?

You might get lucky attenuating it some between the vocals with some low ratio expansion.

Back