how can i get this sound?

The point is this: the Stun setting on your compressor is as likely to do the trick as anything. There are no "settings" to get a particular sound. Any sound--good or bad, tight & punchy or loose & flabby--is a result of about a bazillion things. And it starts with the tracking.

And by the way, if you're planning on saying something like, "I know all that stuff already, I just want to know about compressors"--don't. Because if you knew enough to know all that other stuff already, you'd also know there aren't compressor settings (even Stun!) to magically create that sound.

So back up start listening piece by piece. Then pick a piece--drums, vox, guits, etc., and analyze what you're hearing. Figure out how to get a great sound out of each track, and trust me it'll all come together that much easier.

And once you're ready to start at the beginning with the use of compression - knowledge which can come in handy in getting your tracks to come together in mixing as well, and not just for adding punch to the 2mix - there is a detailed introductory tutorial on compression located at:

www.independentrecording.net

Just click on on "Compression Uncompressed" icon near the bottom right of the page for an on-line "booklet" taking you through the basics of compressors and compression techniques.

G.

Back