How can I get into doing Drum Tracks?

geusey

So I've done some gigging and recording on drums for a couple different bands while in college, and I've had a blast. Unfortunately, after I graduated I took a job out in the sticks that doesn't allow for me to get back into the city to do much. I have some decent equipment and I am a good, experienced drummer, and I know there are people out here who need drums on their recordings and might prefer real drums to EZ Drummer.

I think it would be a great way to keep in practice and even challenge myself a little if I started recording some tracks for people. Is that something that I could realistically get into? If so, where do I start?

Thanks!

Like any other business probably. Set up a website, post some clips and advertise. Advertise in magazines, SEO, craigslist, google ads. Whatever you can do. Except don't advertise in the forums here. It'll be considered spam, deleted and you get banned. But you can contact the admins about renting ad space.

Or are you talking about doing drum tracks for free?? If so, then post away. There are several drummers here who freely collab with other members. It's a great way to be involved in the community.

Welcome to the site.

Do you have the gear to record - audio interface with 8 (or more) inputs, mics, a good room to record in?
One of the guys here did some drum tracks for me, I did some guitar tracks for him, even exchange is always a good way to do things. Unlikley people are going to pay you for your efforts until you can demonstrate superior abilities.

You can great recordings with 4 mics. More importantly is, do you know HOW to record drums? If you're doing it to keep in practice and challenge yourself, like you said, that's great. If you're expecting to make lots (or even a decent amoun) of money, don't hold your breath. It can be a pretty good side line, I make a few extra bucks each month off it, which helps me pay for my website, throw some extra money into gear and some in the bank. But it took a while to ge to this point, and I'm still nowhere near quitting my day job for it.

Thanks for the input. I do have the required mice and equipment to do it, I just need something to play. I'd love to lay down some tracks for people for free and if it takes off from there, then great, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not about to quit my day job, I love it too much, lol.

Thanks for the input. I do have the required mice and equipment to do it, I just need something to play. I'd love to lay down some tracks for people for free and if it takes off from there, then great, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not about to quit my day job, I love it too much, lol.

Good to hear. Welcome man. :)

I own my own business that supports my hobby and my family. Oh wait, I was a bass player that turned drummer...

Never mind. Drummers are worthless! LOL!

Back