How can i get good distortion

looser

I dare to say that i have somewhat mastered the cleen guitar though the distortion part always stumps me. It always comes out with this somewhat thin sound that is harsh on the ears. HOW CAN I GET GOOD SOUNDING DISTORTION???!!!

Rolling back on the gain is important. Use less than you do normally. Also, off axis micing is a good idea.

are you using a distortion pedal? do you have a decent tube amp? if you are using a distortion pedal and have a decent tube amp, use the amps distortion instead.

distortion pedals are known for being harsh and thin.

name some players or bands that you like.

there's a zillion different sounding distortions. narrow it down.

what kind of pickups are you playing?

clean distortion? hmmm....well i'd say go with the tube amp. you could always buy a pod, gt-6, j-station. still dont get the whole tube amp feel but its a direction

clean distortion? hmmm....well i'd say go with the tube amp. you could always buy a pod, gt-6, j-station. still dont get the whole tube amp feel but its a direction

searching the forums are one of gods greatest gifts to mankind.

try searching for distortion....I know I'VE written on the topic several times. And the last time i wrote, maybe a month ago, it was pretty damn thourogh. ha.

HOLLA

An easy and cheap way to get warm crunch is by using a low wattage (around 5-6 watts) tube amp like a Fender Champ or a Kalamazoo Model 1. You can often find a Kalamazoo on Ebay for far less than $100. Volume settings starting about "5" or so will yield increasing distortion. The volume at these settings is not so great as to shake the glassware down from the cabinets or unduly stress your marriage.

peavey classic series distortion

i found that its sounds pretty good....another thing that can make the distortion sound different is different guitars.....les pauls work well on everything

Kind of obvious - but the first step would be to get the sound you want/like coming out of your amp - also make sure your amp/cab is up off of the floor. Then make sure it's in a good sounding room. Then experiment with mics, placement of mics, and mic pres.

Back