How can I avoid the fizzies when recording guitar?

Kewlpack

It seems as though just about any distortion will bring in some "fizzies" or buzzy high frequency artifacts.

What would you gurus do to eliminate those fizzies? Would you use a parametric EQ and notch the fizzy frequency?

Any insight is appreciated.
~A~

See my signature for my gear...

I get fizzies regardless of my setup (I've had many over the last few years). I have to record direct to pc soundcard - for various reasons. I make sure not to go into the soundcard too hot so as to clip from the levels, etc.

I've been listening to actual mic'd recordings of mid to hi gain guitar tones from others online and there is almost always a fizz...

I dont necessarily hate fizz - it is there on the finest gear... but I want to tame it if I can. I figured you could minimize it by notching the frequency...maybe I am wrong?

Normally going Direct does this. Mic'ing it should eliminate it. If it doesn't then you are searching for what is known as the tube. Its like the HolyGrail but its a lot cheaper and no one will kill you for it because there is more than one, and infact, plenty to go around.

(That or you could add a hint of reverb. Not enough that you can hear the reverb, just enough that you can't hear it.)

I agree with the reverb idea, I've tried that and it works, I have no idea why, but it does. You could also try taking off some of the higher frequencies with your recording program.

Modellers are fizzy. You could try turning down the gain.

I 2nd the tube comment. Modellers are fine for practice - I practice with one at night while my wife is sleeping sometimes, and even make scratch/demo recordings with it because it is quick. But for anything serious, I fire up the Boogie.

Ya, I can't afford a good tube amp for now... plus I don't wanna mess with the weight and tubes, etc. I tried it and for the hassle - I just didn't see the benefits being worth it. I don't play any gigs that require a fancy tube amp anyway. I play with the P&W band and some informal sit-in jams.

Maybe someday in the distant future it will make sense to buy a great tube amp.

I was just hoping there was a magic EQ frequency I could cut and the fizzies would settle down.

ARgh.

Kewlpack said:
I tried it and for the hassle - I just didn't see the benefits being worth it. I don't play any gigs that require a fancy tube amp anyway.

Fair enough....but small watt tube amps are making a comeback now.

The ProJunior form Fender, and the Gibson GA-5.

Both are normal practice amp sized and are minimal in the weight department. Plus the cost isn't that high. And the volume is reasonable. Run a pedal into them and their clean sounds will work wonders on it.

Kewlpack said:
I was just hoping there was a magic EQ frequency I could cut and the fizzies would settle down.

Roll off frequencies above around 5khz with the high shelf or graphic eq.

I don't want to hijack this thread but could anyone give me a suggestion of how to reduce the amount of clicking noise from the pick in a recording?

guitarist said:
Thanks G.
Do you mean that I should just drop all 5k+ frequencies by 5dB or so?? Will that kill the "sparkle" on the cleans? I will try it and see I guess! ;)
~A~

sure...

ibanezrocks said:
I don't want to hijack this thread but could anyone give me a suggestion of how to reduce the amount of clicking noise from the pick in a recording?

Then best way is to play your guitar in a different room than your cabinet is being recorded in. There are other ways to isolate the sounds, too... You could just turn the amp up louder in the same room if that will work... get creative - you just need to keep the sound of the pics from hitting the mic....

guitarist said:
That would be my suggestion too.

My recollection is that the big boys on rec.audio.pro said that this is the textbook fix for the problem as well. Up beyond a certain frequency you're not losing anything but noise.

Back