How can I access the SOUNDFONT option from cakewalk pro audio 9?!!

purplepassion

hello everyone, i am a user of cakewalk 8.04(express gold) and recently got 9.0 pro audio.

I have SB live Platinum and have a lot of soundfonts...
but still not good at using them...

but my point here, is this... i looked up the help topic from cakewalk 9... and it said under "tools" menu, there should be the "soundfont" branch... well, there IS but it is shaded gray... meaning it's not active... thus i can't do anything...

All my soundfonts are located in c:\program files\creative..
and help topic said i can set the location so cakewalk can look for where soundfonts ARE.

But if i can't even access the "soundfont" option itself, there's just no way for me....

dear experienced cakewalk users, would you please help me out?

many thanks,
eric

On my version of CPA 9 it gives you the option to install soundfont when you are installing the program. I don't currently use the soundfont so I declined when asked. If you are confident of your software removal skills, you may want to uninstall CPA 9 and the re-install it and see if you have this same option. There is a chance, also, that you can browse the software CD and see if you can install it off the disk. Make it a point to e-mail tech support at CW and see if you can elicit a response.

Actually, what you need to do...

Is set up your MIDI outputs so that it can work with Soundfonts.

On my version of Soundblaster Live, I use SBMidisynthB, or something like that. DON'T use CreativeSynth. It does NOT work with Soundfonts, and will cause your Soundfont function to "gray" out.

You can then go into your "Soundfonts" feature and "attach" whatever soundfonts you have. Then you go into the "Patch" area and set up what soundfonts to use with what instruments that way.

Hope this helps. I'm going by strictly memory here, and I'm at work.

Shakey Tee-
Nice to have a representative of your fair city (my old home)actively posting to the board. All you say may be right as it has been sometime since I used the Soundfont.

Just a fin shy of a c-note now and showing no sign of "poster's block" which may be a common occurance to jm's trying to break into 3 digit-land

Shaky Tee-
Nice to have a representative of your fair city (my old home)actively posting to the board. All you say may be right as you seem to have the soundfont settings fressh in your head. I must be frank and say it has been sometime since I used the Soundfont. Thanks for settin the record straight, as it is not my intention to mislead anyone.

Hey BB!!

Nice to see you here too!!

Like I said, was going by memory there. Hope I was clear enough. My version of Cakewalk is a little limiting, so tend to switch off between that and PowerTracks Pro when I edit my MIDIs.

Hi Eric,

You must have the SoundFont manager installed on your system in order to use SoundFonts with Cakewalk. If you didn't install it at the same time you installed Cakewalk, then pop your Cakewalk CD into your CD-ROM drive. Open the disc in Windows Explorer. Open the folder called SFont. And then run the Setup.exe program. That will install the Manager for you.

Best,
Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk Power!, the first book to deal exclusively with the Cakewalk Pro Audio, Guitar Studio, and Home Studio software products. For more information, a free newsletter, and the chance to win free products, go to:
http://www.garrigus.com/

Eric,

Just went through this scenario the other night. Mine was grayed out. Once you've done what Garrigus has suggested make sure to choose the SB synth as your midi device because that's the synth that can play the soundfonts. I have mulitple midi sources and outboard synth modules and it took me a while to realize that I hadn't changed my midi options from my Roland to my SB synth. Once I did it was available. Some of the Soundfonts I experimented with are damn good! So it's definitely worth having that option.

Fishkid

Back