How 'bout them BGW power amplifiers...

BBB

A few posts ago, Sonusman recommended getting a used power amp for PA applications. So I started scouring around for amps, originally considering the Peavey CS800 because my bands used them in the 90's.

A reliable salesman recommended a used BGW 750C over the Peavey. He mentioned that BGW had a good reputation in the 80's or so (and that's about how old this amp appears to be).

He's going to hook the amp up to some Community CSX57 speakers so I can test the setup.

Does anyone have any experience with the BGW amps (or the Community speakers)? Any suggestions on how I should test the combination.

Btw, the speakers are floor models for $649 and the BGW is $249.

Thanks,
-B

Here's a point a lot of people over look. SLEW RATE!! This is how quickly that amplifier is going to respond when a high level of voltage is seen. Example metal kick drum is a fast and big signal on an amp. Try a signal like such and the only difference is swapping the amps. A peavey will sound compressed and mushy sitting next to a crown of the same power. There are plenty of good deals around on used crown amps. I have used theese in STUPID places. Under powered, over powered, Had one that during a rain storm and poor run off it was completely under water and still working fine. Best Bang fo Th Buck Go CROWN

Back