How bad exactly are Soundblasters?

vomortis

Hi - I bought an Audigy 2 Platinum a couple of months ago, because a friend recommended it to me for recording. Since then, I've joined this forum and have seen the (mostly) negative attitude towards this card, but I couldn't find a description of why they are worse at recording then, say, an Audiophile 2496 (besides the the fact that the audiophile can record 4 channels at once). Does anyone know why it is best to stay away from soundblasters for recording purposes?

Cheesy D/A converters, high self noise. I had one for a short time. Almost anything would be an upgrade. You can record OK stuff with one but like I said, almost anything else is an upgrade.

What Track Rat said plus the deception sucks. 24 bit this, 24 bit that. They advertise 24 bit everything but the reality is they only playback at 24 bit, they can only record at 16 bit! I wonder how many peeps got duped by that? Hmmm....

Yeah, that's what I was wondering - I haven't been able to get it to record at 24 bit yet - so that's why. I really wish I'd known all this before I bought it - I paid £150 for it! I don't think I'd be able to send it back either, because there's nothing "wrong" with it, & it's in my pc now. Damn.

Last edited:
OK, I've decided to go ahead and buy an Audiophile 24/96 (thanks for the replies, btw) - From what I've heard on this forum, these cards are a good starter for home recording.

So .... I still will use the Soundblaster for games etc - Ideally, I'd use the Audiophile ONLY for recording, and use the Soundblaster for audio playback, games etc (have both of them installed).

I think I know how to do this in XP, but will I encurr any problems by doing this?

Last edited:
I have the Audigy 2 , it says right on the box( i just looked at it) that it has 24 bit recording.If it doesn't then they are bastards.

I agree, they are bastards. Their marketing is very misleading, since, as NYMorningstar has said, the audigy plays back in 24 bit, but can only record in 16 bit (which is the opinion of everyone i've spoken to about it). I've ordered a Delta 44 for recording, but I've decided to keep the Audigy 2 for games & recording midi, and keep both in my PC.

Their marketing is very misleading, since, as NYMorningstar has said, the audigy plays back in 24 bit, but can only record in 16 bit (which is the opinion of everyone i've spoken to about it).

I think that was true for the Audigy, but I'm not so sure if it's true any more regarding the Audigy 2.

Back