How are you picking up you bell/ride?

Kapo_Polenton

Hey everybody, recording my drums with a firepod so I have 8 mic lines in. Soo far, they are as such:

-kick
-snare
-tom 1
-tom 2
- tom 3
- overhead 1
- overhead 2

I love teh flexibility of being able to turn the damn overheads down so i can minimize the crashes. Works great. However, in this process I feel I lose the ride and the bell. Is the answer to mic' in on its own or are there ways you guys position the mic's to minimize this? I essentially only have enough mics for what i have so i am trying to avoid buying another mic at the current time. (plus still paying off my recent trip to Vegas - yikes!)

Also, completely unrelated, anyone use drum replacement samples to enhance their cymbals? Does it work or is too much else picked up?

How 'bout you have the drummer turn down his playing of the crashes.
A developed sense of dynamics is less expensive and far more versatile than another mic.

I'm the drummer lol :o..maybe i should learn to hit with less vigour! You are absolutely right though.. i think this is also the reason why smaller faster crashes are used in a lot of metal/hard rock bands. I 've got this monster 19 Sabian that is really expansive that i might swap out for a 17 at some point. Good point though, i was doing some reading and they were really big on the drummers backing off on "attack"

Well smaller cymbals are often better, but not always...depends on the weight. If your 19" is fairly thick...mediumish to metal/rock weight...yeah...a bit overbearing. Big, thick cymbals which are often ideal for loud, amplified, live music...rarely work in a studio environment. Even if you did play them more softly...they may not open up well, nor sound their best. I regularly use 19" and 20" crashes when recording...even a 22", and it's not a problem. The cymbals are thin and dark, so even when I lay into 'em a bit, they don't get in the way.

It's all about finding balance between the cymbal, the drummer, and the mics.

Back