Hoping to get feedback advice on song mix.

Jimtl

I've been doing some more recording and have been trying to write songs just for the heck of it -- as time permits. I recorded it directly to the computer using I also used an ISA one preamp into a Presonus Firestudio Mobile with Studio One Software. Anyway ... below a link to the song:

SoundClick artist: JimTL - page with MP3 music downloads

FWIW, I may end up adding keys, but am trying to keep it simple for now.

I'm trying to get the best possible mix and am hoping to get feedback/tips you might have when you get a chance.

Thanks

Jim

It's a good song. The only thing I can think of is that the rhythm guitar could sit back in the pocket a bit more with the drums.

Thanks ... I listened again with that in mind and I think you may be right. I'm going to redo a couple parts to clean it up a bit and probably add keys. I'm trying to think this thing through and get a nice full sound without overdoing it ...

Good arrangement, good vocal, nice sounds all round. Tremelo is pretty cool. The only thing I didn't care for was the slow delay on the last word occasionally (feel.....feel.....feel). Maybe speed it up...

I'd bring the drums up in the mix, and tighten up the bass, maybe sit the vocal down in the mix a little more.

The song is real good, and the guitar sounds nice.

I'm anxious to hear where this goes, lots of potential.

I'd bring the drums up in the mix, and tighten up the bass, maybe sit the vocal down in the mix a little more.

The song is real good, and the guitar sounds nice.

I'm anxious to hear where this goes, lots of potential.

I agree 100%....drums and bass could use some help...I also thought the vox was a little too wet...
Cool tune for sure.

Thanks all ... I'm greatful for the suggestions and appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment! I redid the bass part this morning -- I'm a really lousy bass player so I always struggle with parts (my brother -- who is a solid bass player -- used to tell me I was trying to play "lead bass" -- ha-ha). Anyway, I think I cleaned up the part. I reduced the reverb on the vocals and lowered the volume on the delay. I also remixed and hope things are a bit better balanced.

Here's the new version:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10740125

FWIW--I experimented with keys (piano, organ strings etc.) and didn't like it ... I'm sure a better keyboardist could come up with better parts, but my attempts just cluttered the sound and really took away from the guitar parts.

Feel free to make suggestions! I need to step away from this recording for a few days and hopefully come back to it with a fresh set of ears/ideas,

Last edited:
I would lower the echo on "do" at .27 - I agree that you should probably bring the drums up front a little more and the bass too.

Sounds pretty good - nice mellow vibe going, other than what I mentioned I don't hear much that stands out as needing fixed.

- man "high" would rhyme a lot better for "seems I write my best songs when im _____" LOL :)

I did a little playing around with your song, I didn't have the time I wish I had but it sounds different, I hope you like it.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/UnlCSXR3dWNlaFJFQlE9PQ

Wow ... Thanks so much! That was very kind of you ... and it sounds great! If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get so much more volume? I obviously have a lot to learn. I seem to get a lot of clipping when I try to boost my levels.

Thanks again!

Jim

By the way, the tunes on you sounclick page are top notch ... really enjoyed listening.

Wow ... Thanks so much! That was very kind of you ... and it sounds great!

Glad to help, this process is very subjective, sometimes what I like isn't exactly what was expected by the artist.

If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to get so much more volume?

The program I use to "master" my songs is Ozone, it features a suite of tools including multiband compressor, EQ, Image enhancer, volume maximizer, and more, and together with some of the musicians I collab with, we tweaked some of the better presets, as everything is fully customizable, which is huge, as every song is different, but they do produce reasonable results, I'm really glad this was to your liking, I wish there had been a bit more time, but I'm still settling in after a move.
If you're using software to finalize, or master your mixes, I'd suggest you look at Ozone, or T-Racks, there's a steep learning curve, but it's worth the effort.

By the way, the tunes on you sounclick page are top notch ... really enjoyed listening.

Thanks much, it's nice of you to say so, and I appreciate the listen.

Good luck.

Sounds good man. Maybe with the echo you could do a low pass filter to give it more of a tape echo effect while at the same time making it more subtle.. Also i love the room sound of the drums but i think the snare needs to be more up front (less verb). great work though

Sounds good man. Maybe with the echo you could do a low pass filter to give it more of a tape echo effect while at the same time making it more subtle.. Also i love the room sound of the drums but i think the snare needs to be more up front (less verb). great work though

Thanks for the tips! I 'll definitely try it out.

Back