Hoontechers? Tom Hicks?

knownuttin

I wanted to ask you about your connectivity. I'm intriuged by the C-port (is that what it's called?) or whatever that Tom has reported on here recently. Isn't it all RCA inputs on the breakout box? How do you deal with that? TIA!

They don't call me knownuttin' for nuttin!

There are 8 unbalanced 1/4" inputs on the front panel of the breakout box.The are 8 1/4" outputs on the back panel.In addition,there are two xlr inputs and outputs with mic preamps and phantom power.These are ganged with inputs 1 and 2 above.Also,you get on the daughtercard stereo S/PDIF (which is nice because you avoid the AD-DA converters altogether.
I have an 8 channel mixer with all xlr inputs.If I am tracking more than two mics,I plug the excess in the mixer and take the output through the insert jack to the 1/4" inputs on the c-port's breakout box.ST Audio also sells an 8 channel rack mount mic pre unit I am probably going to get soon.I have had the c-port for a couple of months now and have been very happy with it.Here are a couple of tunes I tracked this week.Greensleeves we did last night after dinner.My brothers get credit on the instruments,older brother Mark and younger bro David.

This will give you an idea of the way this unit sounds.
Tom

There is nothing wrong with rca's. They just don't last very long when your repatching alot and they don't lock in.

You can get rca to 1/4 adapters at any electronics store. You can even get them at some $1 stores, like 2 for a $1. Same goes for the rca cables, a great way to save money when starting out.

Back