Hooking up preamps?

showstone

My question is about the best way to hook up preamps to a mixer. I am assuming the best solution is line in...am i correct. I have a mackie 32 8 and and am upgrading my preamps. mic=>preamp=>line in on mixer? Does that seem right? Thanks.

yes, line in (typically via 1/4" TRS, unless your XLRs have a switch on them for line input).

A mic preamp outputs line level.

showstone said:
My question is about the best way to hook up preamps to a mixer. I am assuming the best solution is line in...am i correct. I have a mackie 32 8 and and am upgrading my preamps. mic=>preamp=>line in on mixer? Does that seem right? Thanks.

Use XLR connections if you have them.

BTW, is this for recording on a PC?

Yes, it is for PC recording. But I want to bypass the preamps on the Mackie if I am using an external preamp correct? I have balanced patchbays and trs snakes to connect the preamps to the mixer.

Thanks Benny. I know about line levels and things of that nature...I just wanted to be sure that I was on the right track for external preamps. Thanks for the confirmation.

showstone said:
Yes, it is for PC recording. But I want to bypass the preamps on the Mackie if I am using an external preamp correct? I have balanced patchbays and trs snakes to connect the preamps to the mixer.

Correct. I've only used board pre-amps for drums, and even then only a few times.

Back