Hooking up my new moniters

patlang12

I just got some KRK Rokit powered moniters. I am going to use them for mixing and for listening to music from my computer. The main reason I got them was for their small size because I am going to be using them in a dormroom. I was wondering what would be the best option for hooking the moniters up to my computer. I am using a macbook pro. Thanks a lot!

Just so you know there are 3 ways to plug into them. There is xlr, rca, and trs. Which would be the best. XLR is usually the best quality I think, if I remeber right. Do I just need to get some kind of 1/8 y cable that goes to xlr, trs, or rca? If so can anyone reccommend a certain model to get? Thanks a lot!

So I just picked up a few things today to just plug in the monitors. Radioshack didn't have miniplug to dual rca so I got a miniplug (1/8) to 1/4 inch adapter. So this is my setup right now: macbook pro output>1/8 inch to 1/4 inch adapter>1/4 to dual rca adapter> rca inputs on the monitors. Now here are my current problems. When plugged into the computer the monitors are really really noisy. I tried plugging the miniplug into my ipod and the monitors were quiet. So it seems to be a problem with the computer's soundcard being really noisy. Is this right? Has anyone heard about this problem before with macbook pros or similar models. I need to decide what I am going to do soon so a quick responce would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

If you are using your onboard soundcard and not an actual audio interface u may hear humming/noises.

Nicole

Firewire interface with balanced outputs would be my recomendation. I'd say look to the presonus firebox if you like cubase, or an mbox 2 if your a protools person. I wouldn't trust anything that came out of a laptops soundcard.

Back