Hooking up a Large Console, help

Echelon

Lights Fish on Fire.
Ok, so i'm finally gonna start up a professional recording studio in my area, but I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to hook up my console. I'm using Pro Tools HD3 and Apogee AD/DA converters (32 in, 64 out). I have an SSL 9000 series board and I want to hook it up to the pro tools system, but I can't find ANYONE is this area that has the slightest idea what they are talking about. I know that I could run all the mics into the board, then the board outs into the AD converters, but then how would I mix once the tracks are recorded? Another possibility that I can up with is sending the mics into outboard preamps (I've got a bunch of Avalon and Focusrite preamps), then the preamp outs to the AD converter into pro tools, have pro tools record the mics while simultaneously routing the sound out through the DA converters into the inputs of the SSL, and then the stereo outputs of the SSL go into yet another AD converter connected to ANOTHER computer. Or something... Basically I want to be able to use the mixer to mix the tracks after they have been recorded, but also while they are being recorded, if that makes sense. For lack of a better way of explaining it, I want sound to be going through the board when it's recording and when it's mixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Echelon said:
Ok, so i'm finally gonna start up a professional recording studio in my area, but I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out how to hook up my console. I'm using Pro Tools HD3 and Apogee AD/DA converters (32 in, 64 out). I have an SSL 9000 series board and I want to hook it up to the pro tools system, but I can't find ANYONE is this area that has the slightest idea what they are talking about. I know that I could run all the mics into the board, then the board outs into the AD converters, but then how would I mix once the tracks are recorded? Another possibility that I can up with is sending the mics into outboard preamps (I've got a bunch of Avalon and Focusrite preamps), then the preamp outs to the AD converter into pro tools, have pro tools record the mics while simultaneously routing the sound out through the DA converters into the inputs of the SSL, and then the stereo outputs of the SSL go into yet another AD converter connected to ANOTHER computer. Or something... Basically I want to be able to use the mixer to mix the tracks after they have been recorded, but also while they are being recorded, if that makes sense. For lack of a better way of explaining it, I want sound to be going through the board when it's recording and when it's mixing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dude I really don't know, but I'll give my suggestion. Do as you say, mics into desk and out to the AD converters. And then there must be a way to connect the desk to your computer. I really duno about big desks, but this might be done by USB, firewire, MIDI, or ethernet(there might me more ways, i dunno). If not then you'll have to do it like you would with an analogue desk. Mics into the board, out to the AD, then from DA back to the line ins on the desk, and mix it down a step at a time, recording what you mix back into the computer.

I don't really know if that's how to do it, but with my limited knowledge on the subject, that all i can think of. :o

Patch 32 channels of the SSL into the A/D.

Patch 32 channels from the D/A back into the next 32 on the SSL.

Your stereo mix goes to a sub buss or main outs depending on your final summing scheme.

You could actually record two stereo mixes simultaneously, one from the live feed and one off the D/A coming back into the board.

Also, if you're not using all 32 inputs on your A/D, like say 28 or 30, again you could patch off the subs or the main and have a stereo mix on the same HD as the individual tracks, so no need for another computer or HD-24 or what have you.

Actually with that kind of quality equipment, I am a bit amazed you are asking the entry level questions you have. The fact that you have assembled some nice pieces of hardware would seem you'd be well past the "hooking up" stage.
C7sus said it in a nutshell.

One thing I would bone up on is having complete confidence in what you are doing/routing/recording, etc...
Should a client get a wiff of uncertainness from you in those areas, I wouldn't rely on your SSL to draw in the masses.

Good luck... sounds like you have a solid start! :)

haha, thanks for all the info fellas. The truth about it is that this is the first time in integrated an analogue mixer into my workflow.

right, you need to find you buss o/ps. connect buss o/p to AD i/p (another way to to this - not sure the 9000series has it - is to plug the direct outs of the first 32 ch to the AD - however this means you won't be able to EQ before you record). AD o/p to HD interface (using AES/ADAT).

Then have 32ch coming out of the HD interface to the DA, then DA--->tape returns (this will have it come up on the long faders).

if you have your buss outs feeding your AD, it means you can then mix on your SSL and route those to your buss outs for final mixdown (or stemming or whatever you feel like doing).

however, i gotta ask. WTF are you doing spending this much money on equipment when you obviously have no idea what you're doing?

good luck with it anways.....got any pics to share? would love to see how you've got this all looking :)

THIS is a simple thing to deal with. You call SSL, and have a tech come out to set up your board.

If you can afford a six figure board, you can afford to have a tech come out for a week to wire your shit.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
THIS is a simple thing to deal with. You call SSL, and have a tech come out to set up your board.

If you can afford a six figure board, you can afford to have a tech come out for a week to wire your shit.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi
Best advice yet! :D

Back