Hooking up A/D D/A converters (ADA8000) with 002

Foo-bu

Hey guys,

I feel like a total noob asking this, but I've never used an external A/D D/A converter before. I've got a Behringer ADA8000 that I'd like to sync up with my 002.

So far, I've been connecting it:

ADA8000 ADAT Out -> 002 ADAT In
002 ADAT Out -> ADA8000 ADAT In
Monitors connected to 002 Main Out 1 and 2

With this setup I know I can get the preamps of the ADA8000 working with Pro Tools. But should I be sending my output signal from Pro Tools out the ADAT outs back into the ADA8000 and then hooking up my monitors to the analog outputs of the ADA8000?

Is it typical to monitor off of the AD/DA converter? What are the advantages/disadvantages to doing this? Should I notice different results?

Thanks!

Short answer: With the setup you have, all you need to do is treat the 8000 as extra inputs in Pro Tools. Use the 002 just as you would without the 8000.

What are the ...disadvantages to doing this?

It probably doesn't sound as good as the Yamaha.

When possible use internal clocking on converters. Since most of the inputs are on the Yamaha I would use that as the master clock. Since that's the master clock I'd use it for the monitor output as well.

my main interface is a Digi002 not a Yamaha. Does that change your opinion of the converters?

That being said, I do also have a Yamaha O1V that I occasionally use for the ADAT outputs

which of the three would you guys pick to set as the master clock and monitor off of?

my main interface is a Digi002 not a Yamaha. Does that change your opinion of the converters?

That being said, I do also have a Yamaha O1V that I occasionally use for the ADAT outputs

which of the three would you guys pick to set as the master clock and monitor off of?

Sorry, I read 002 and thought 01V, which is funny since you have one. From what I've heard I would guess the 01V has the edge in terms of preamp and converter quality. But it may be more practical to use the 002.

Back