7evin

I NEED HELP! My friend just purchased the following equipment:

32 channel 8 bus mixer console MACKIE
dual channel preamp
compressor / limiter
fx unit
dual channel eq
exciter

i want to know the best way to hooking all these rackmount parts to the mixer console. and what order. do I set them up as aux sends??.....???...?

Consider using patch bays. Unfortunately, you will need more wire but it will make life a lot easier in the long run. Ask anyone using a patch field and they’ll tell you, they can’t live with out it.

If you do a web search, you can find lots info on patch bay configurations (e.g., normal, half-normal, open). How you design your patch field will depend on what your needs are/will be.

Aux are where most FX units get connected. However, that does not mean that you must connect an FX (i.e., reverb) to an Aux. However, doing so gives multiple channels access to that effect.

Channel Inserts are where you would connect a compressor. However, doing so only gives that specific channel access to the processor. Again, that’s not to say that only compressors get connected to channel inserts.

Channel Direct outs get connected to the inputs of the recording device (i.e., HD24); Tape returns come from the recording device.

Follow where I’m going….how you connect your gear will depend not only on the gear respectively but on how you want to us it. Not to repeat myself but, do some research on how to use patch bays and you will find examples on how to connect your gear.

Last edited:
Look for hardwired patchbays, it needs somework, but they are worth it, once you are done setting up teh connections, you'll be glad you did it. Very convinient and easy to work with, Look in eaby for patch bays and snakes, they aren't that expensive.

Back