Hooking a pair of KRK RP5's up to my laptop?

If your laptop has a line level output, I would use that. The voltages are different. The headphone will be variable while the line out is fixed. And you want to check the 5's manual and see what input level they recommend. You can use the headphone jack, but it the sound may/will suffer due to incorrect voltage. Even if you have a line out, the voltage on these jacks will vary from vendor to vendor. Research the Macs' specs and see.

I never understood why MAC, who was supposedly the gear of choice for audio and video editing a decade ago, doesn't have any built in hardware advantages over Joe Schmo's PC. Meaning, no balanced outputs or inputs, no line level outputs, etc. I'm not trying to incite a Mac vs PC argument, I'm just expressing my bewilderment at their lack of foresight which would separate them from PCs from a hardware perspective.

I'd suggest you just pick up a Firebox or something and use that. I think Sweetwater has 'em for about a buck ninety nine.

...Ok. How would a Firebox work then?

As this has now alrady been answered, my apologies for being so closed minded (USA tunnel vision). I checked a site in AU and noticed the cost of a Firebox isn't exactly inexpensive. This said, I'd just suggest yuo choose any outboard audio processor (many from MAudio are also good and cheap) and use that. I don't have experience with the MAudio FIrewire Solo or Audiophile, but they seem reasonable as well.

Many good deals on Ebay to be found. These interfaces don't usually get banged around too badly, so a used one may be worth buying if funds are tight. In which case, I'd go back to my original rec of the Firebox.

However, I'm confused about what you're using these monitors for. Are you recording on the laptop? If so, what are yuo using for inputs?

As this has now alrady been answered, my apologies for being so closed minded (USA tunnel vision). I checked a site in AU and noticed the cost of a Firebox isn't exactly inexpensive. This said, I'd just suggest yuo choose any outboard audio processor (many from MAudio are also good and cheap) and use that. I don't have experience with the MAudio FIrewire Solo or Audiophile, but they seem reasonable as well.

Many good deals on Ebay to be found. These interfaces don't usually get banged around too badly, so a used one may be worth buying if funds are tight. In which case, I'd go back to my original rec of the Firebox.

However, I'm confused about what you're using these monitors for. Are you recording on the laptop? If so, what are yuo using for inputs?

Yes, my recording is all being done on my Macbook Pro in Garageband. I plug my mics into my mixer, and go directly from the mixer to the line-in on my laptop. I want to use the monitors to edit/mix my bands songs and my drum tracks.

Yes, my recording is all being done on my Macbook Pro in Garageband. I plug my mics into my mixer, and go directly from the mixer to the line-in on my laptop. I want to use the monitors to edit/mix my bands songs and my drum tracks.

the mixer should have a spot you can plug in the monitors.
then in garage band just change the audio preferences so the output and and the input are the mixer

Is it as easy as running a Y cable with RCA plugs on the ends from my Macbook Pro's headphone jack into the back of each monitor?

I have the KRK Rokit 5's on my computer, They sound great. I used a Y connector coming out of my 1/8" TRS jack. I hope you can figure yours out.
ViP

Last edited:
Back