Hook up SCSI CD-ROM 2 Sampler???

Rev E

OK, here's the story. I'm considering buying an Emu ESI 2000 sampler. I read some info on it on the web that says that it needs a SCSI CD-ROM to load the sounds into its banks. Being a non-SCSI user, I'm wondering how this is set up.

Are there such things as external CD-ROM readers that have their own power supply to make a direct connection to the sampler?

Or will I have to buy a SCSI adapter card for my computer and hook up a SCSI CD-Rom reader to the SCSI card, while
somehow chaining a connection to the sampler's SCSI connection?

Let me know of any other places that I can get more educated
on this stuff. Thanks in advance.

Rev E

I had the same problem when I first got my MPC 2000xl, I could not run the akai sound cd's on my computer's cd-rom. instead i bought a scsi cd rom drive for like $50 at an electronics store and hooked it up to the MPC, this was so much easier than hooking it up to my computer. I wasted close to $500 on a scsi card and cords trying to hook up drum machine to my computer. For saving files on my hard drive and using the computer's cd rom. Instead I simplified everything and bought the cd-rom specifically for the mpc and then connected scsi 250mb zip drive to the scsi cd. I could then transfer tracks via the zip disks to my computer for editing, this is so much cheaper and less confusing. Save yourself all the drama I went through. I even had a tech guy from my work come and try to hook everything up and it still didn't work. you can also dump the tracks from your emu via the midi ports to the computer. So unless you are scsi guru, keep it simple try what I did.

Thanks

DollarB,

Thanks for the great info. I'm glad that I answered this before I dropped the money for stuff that I didn't need.

Rev E

no problem, i have found when it comes to scsi, less is more, its less of a headache, and I hate the feeling of wasting money.

Back