Hook up Question

jacobliford

OK I'm getting a Behringer XENYX 1222FX mixer and a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Card. MY question is I want to be able to record and monitor from the mixer. Should I hook the mixer into the PC with the RCA tape out or should I use a xlr to RCA converter on the mixer and go to the sound card, then out from the sound card to the tape in on the mixer. I want to be able to overdub things while hearing the mix through my headphones so I need a way that it want record what is playing back from the mix. Thanks in advance for your help.

Should I hook the mixer into the PC with the RCA tape out or should I use a xlr to RCA converter on the mixer and go to the sound card, then out from the sound card to the tape in on the mixer.

If you can find a good solid way to convert the balanced outs of the mixer to the unbal ins of the Audiophile(reversed DI may work) do that but DO NOT use a little XLR to RCA adaptor. NO NO NO! You'll just end up with noise and headaches.

If you can find a good solid way to convert the balanced outs of the mixer to the unbal ins of the Audiophile(reversed DI may work) do that but DO NOT use a little XLR to RCA adaptor. NO NO NO! You'll just end up with noise and headaches.

What about a cable that has a xlr on one end and a RCA on the other? Thats what I was looking at.

The outputs of the mixer are line level outputs. Just use a cable that drops the inverted output (ring) on the TRS jack. There's nothing you can do with it that won't just add noise. You're far more likely to pick up hum in a transformer (reversed passive DI) than in a two or three foot run of unbalanced cable.

I do agree that you shouldn't chain a bunch of adapters, though. I'd probably use the channel inserts to minimize noise by taking most of the Behringer circuitry out of the equation. Get a 1/4" stereo to dual female RCA cable and a standard stereo RCA cable to hook up from there. Usually the left (white/tip) connector would go to the inputs on the audio interface and the right would go to the outputs.

BTW, that mixer is USB-based. Of course, that will only get you a stereo recording; if you want more than two channels independently, you'd want to get something else. I can't imagine why you'd buy a USB mixer and then use it as a normal mixer, though. If you just want a normal mixer, buy a Peavey PV8 or PV14 or whatever. Their pres are pretty decent, IMHO.

That's it! I'm done with this fucking forum! WTF is it with you dgatwood every time I say something and I know I'm right you gotta fucking shit on it! If its not you its Trolls!

This use to be a great place to exercise knowledge now it "No what you say is wrong and I'm right!".

Piss off dgatwood!:mad: I'm dgatwood I like Peavey its the shit.... Idiot motherfucker!

Good By HR it was fun.

That's it! I'm done with this fucking forum! WTF is it with you dgatwood every time I say something and I know I'm right you gotta fucking shit on it!

The sane limit for unbalanced audio is probably about 15 feet. If the original poster were running farther than that, I'd completely agree with you. If this were mic level signals, I'd also agree with you... probably. In this particular case, though, that extra hardware is really overkill, so it comes down to the "K.I.S.S." principle. Every device (including baluns) in the signal path is just one more thing to go catastrophically wrong. Take it from somebody who has seen a lot of things go... quite entertainingly catastrophically wrong. :D

Back