Hook-up M-30 with a 38-8???

MartyMcFly

OK...I know everyones glad to hear from me again...I received a M-30 mixer and am in the process of trying to figure out how to work it. I have gotten as far as hooking a mic to the M-30 and getting a signal on say track 1 on the 38-8. So I record and such. I go back in "repro" mode and "tape" on the submix of the mixer but I dont hear anything. I dont even see the meters on the 38 move...but they did as I recorded...or so I thought.
Im thinking I either dont have the mixer hookedup correctly or I dont have it set properly. I didn't get a manual. Could someone walk me thru ssetting it up so I can test it? Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Heh: pun.

Switch the Headphone select to "Submix".
Switch the VU Meters to "Submix".
Remember the Submix Master and the Headphone Volume,...

and you're there!:eek:;)

Hey guys...I think I need to get past the "Why do i get a signal on the 38-8 when I record something and not after that" Thats my main problem. I dont think its the mixer. But then again..i dont know much...
cjacek....
those diagrams do help tho. I was hooking it up partially wrong. If ya got any more of those I think that might help...
Thanks alot...

I have had time to think about this overnight. But Im pretty sure my problem isnt the mixer. Or the hook-ups. I can get signal to the track. It seems as tho it is recording. The signal is there on the Vu's as I record it. But after playback there is nothing on those same Vu meters on the 38-8. So thats telling me that my signal isnt getting recorded. Thats gotta be the problem.
So what could cause the 38-8 to behave in that way? Thats my problem...

If you're getting a signal on the 38 and the red light is on while you're recording then you should have something on there.
Other possibilities:

You threaded the tape over the head flap.

Your not putting it back fully in reproduce mode. Which would mean the track function select button needs to be back up and the sync button back on reproduce.

You have a sticky reproduce button. This happens to me very occassionally where I'll have to repress the reproduce button. Even though it's green it's not fully in.

Those are some possibilities. I'm sure there are others.

Okay. You have to start at the basics.

You have to make sure the tape is mounted and threaded correctly, with the recording oxide surface of the tape presented properly to the head's surface. The backside of the tape doesn't record well (barely at all) & an improperly threaded tape might prevent signal from reaching the tape at all.

You have to make sure there's not SSS gunk on the head & that it's spotlessly clean. A big enough layer of gunk would prevent signal from reaching the tape.

You have to make sure you're in either Sync of Repro mode if you want to monitor signal off tape, but not Input mode.

You have to make sure your recorder/mixer connections are correct. A certain amount of cross wiring could be an issue. F/I, if your mixer's outputs are accidentally plugged to the recorder's outputs, then your signal would show on the VU meters but would not record to tape at all on the turnaround. That's just one example.

Most initial problems new users encounter are simple in nature. Some of it's the learning curve, as would be expected. Analog's simple, though. Trust me.

:eek:;)

Just to rule out the mixer. There are a few things I dont understand. First the assignment buttons. Could someone explain what I can do with them. 2nd the submix and all that. Do I need to use all of those sections? Do I have to have the coresponding channel set to tape on the mixer while listening to the recorded signal? What does the remix selection do on each channel?
I do have the headphone and the monitor section both in submix.
Also I dont think i have a cross wire problem going on. Im only doing 1 channel at a time.
And lastly...is there something in the 38 that controls all the recording and signals and all???

HEY!!!
Stop the Presses!!!
I figured out what was wrong. It musta been how I had the machins hooked up. I dont understand it. I swear I had it exactly the same way before. But what the heck...
So thats fixed. But I do have other minor things I might need to comeback too in hear... So post back for updates to the coolest thread in the world designed to help me fix my settup...Thanks

There are numerous patches and ways to do things on a board like the M30.

In general,...you'll use the Submix section as "cue monitor" when overdubbing, as it enables you to vary your channels between input and tape.

In general,... you'll use the RMX section at the top of the mixer channel strip when you want to do final mixdown, as it brings the EQ section in the signal chain.

Now, before completely writing out those sentences, I've thought of at least a dozen situations or patches that violate those two general guidelines.

F/I, you may do a final remix through the Main & Submix section combined, or you may do overdubbing and cue with the main mix and busses. Nothing is absolute, however my first two general suggestions are for starters and advanced alike on the M30. (Hint: I've had this board for nearly 25 years).

How you prefer to do things is often based on whether you like repatching or not. E'thing you need to do on the M30 is with the flip of a switch thru the Submix, though you can do similar things that involves repatching cables.

Moreover, why did I not mention the "Monitor" section at all?

:eek:;)

Thanks sooo much both...A Reel Person and cjacek. You guys helped me get going. A Reel Person. By your sig we both do the same thing. The Beatles are the reason I do this...

I didnt want to start a new thread for this. But I was wondering if they sell new knobs that'll fit on the M-30 mixer? Obviously they'd have to be close to the type that the originals are. But. I just dont like the knobs. I would love to do something like put modern knobs on it. Will that work?

Modern knobs on the M-30 vintage TASCAM mixer? Don't like the stock ones? No way! Ya gotta be kidding!? That's downright blasphemous!!:eek::D;)

You can try those expensive custom wooden knobs. They have a good resonance... I mean, they resonate well with your control monitors and your mix sounds better. Can anyone throw in a link to those? :D

Back