honestly, how bad is this?

JazzMasterWil

Ah - ha! I knew I could covert a wave file into an mp3 and upload it. Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought I was. ;)

This is sort of my band right now. It basically my brother, a close friend of mine, and myself..... I don't have ANY pro gear, and this was all recorded very cheaply.

Before you listen, just a quick warning.

:o There is some bad language in the song (I'm not sure if posting a link to it is against the rules or not). :confused:

If you have kids around, or if you are a kid, or if you get offended easily please don't listen. :eek: The f word is used in this song somewhere around 10 times. :eek:

We do a lot of "scream along" stuff and the hook in this song is "f yeah" (and that's actually the title as well.

:cool: With that in mind.... here's the link (when you open the page, it should start streaming).

www.myspace.com/minimortem

I don't think many people will check this out, but incase they do, here's what was used to record that.

BASS
A custom built mini p bass (25" scale)
That was plugged into a Hartke bass attack (I think) pre-amp pedal and sent straight to the recorder.

GUITAR
A wollerman mini-raider w/ j.b. humbucker (19" scale)
*If you want to check out that guitar* http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/4d/0d/61_12.JPG
It was played through a line 6 pod 2.0 on I believe the "treadplate" setting (not sure about what setting he used on the wanking)

DRUMS
Sonor Force Maple Drums
Zildjian and Sabian cymbols

RECORDING GEAR
CAD 7 piece drum mic set (one in the bass, one on each tom, one on the snare, 2 overhead)
Samson Mic Cables
E.V. 24 Channel Mixer
Tascam DP-01 8 Track Recorder
The vocal mic was a Shure PG-48

Last edited:
Hi

Hi, I don't know what your recording process was. It sounds like a live recording, but everything is very LO-FI sounding. Thats perhaps your myspace bit only allowing me to download it in low quality, I don't know. Prob be best if you just provide a link to an mp3 in future. Other than that, shouting vocal bit dominates mix, try compressing it down to that it sits with the verse vocal. Its difficult to comment further when mix is LO-FI.

Cheers :-)

Bendbones... :D Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to respond. (The best I can) :D

bendbones said:
Hi, I don't know what your recording process was. It sounds like a live recording, but everything is very LO-FI sounding. Thats perhaps your myspace bit only allowing me to download it in low quality, I don't know.

It was a pretty "lo-fi" recording. We used real cheapo mics, and di's for the guitar and bass. But it wasn't recorded live. The drums were recorded, then the bass, the guitar, then the vocals, then the lead guitar, then the backing vocals (my brother screaming "f yeah").

bendbones said:
Prob be best if you just provide a link to an mp3 in future. Other than that, shouting vocal bit dominates mix, try compressing it down to that it sits with the verse vocal. Its difficult to comment further when mix is LO-FI. Cheers :-)

I thought the screamy part was a little to loud. I'm take it down a notch. With my recorder it will let me "remaster" something, so I'm not permanantely stuck with it like that.

I'm not real sure if I can even get it to sound more hi-fi. I just connected the tascam to the usb port of my computer, exported the wave file into i-tunes, converted the wave file into a mp3 (using i-tunes) and then posted it on myspace....... And I don't think if I posted it somewhere else it'd make a whole lot of difference, because it sounds pretty lo-fi even in my car.

But I really appericate the input. Does anybody have any comment on the lead vocal in particular? Thanks :D

Ok, I'm not really familiar with the DP-01 8 recorder - is that analog, like a portastudio or digital or something? Ok, I just gave it another listen, I hear now that its not myspace. I'm no expert, but I feel that maybe you are over-doing the micing on the drums. Try and just use a couple of over head, one on snare and one on kick and thats it. Trouble with using too many mics on drums is that they tend to `spill over'. (Perhaps use a couple mics on snare, or whatever and get a nice mix. To be honest though, I've got very little exp when it comes to mciing drums, just what I've heard from others).

I think the snare is the muddiest sound. There is no crispt character to it. Try boosting upper mids on that to make is more clear and crisp. Secondly the kick lacks definition and punch, I can't really hear it. In general, to help with the overall drum sound, compress a sub-mix of the stereo drums as this, I find, helps the different drum components to sit together more nicely. The guitars also seem a bit muddy; try boosting mids/hi end eq on POD to add more sparkle. Lead tone it nice and crisp though.

Also, if using reverb on that chugging guitar sound in verse, cut it back because it puts guitar too far back in the mix

Cheers :-)

Yep it's the cheapest digital porta-studio they make. :D

Thanks for all the help :D I will look into some type of compressor, and work on he snare sound. Thanks again.

Cool man, I'd love to hear some feedback. I know the drums sound like crap :( But my drum mics are so crappy. I wish I could get away with one overhead and one in the kick. That'd make my life so much easier.

I DL'd it to hear a better quality version. I like it. Very simple, "Sludgey" rock. (metalhead28 tagged one of my songs with that, and it fits. ) To me, the drums fit. They are sort of over the top, but in this tune, that's a good thing. Everything is kind of extreme, and that makes this a cool listen. The vocals are pretty cool. I haven't tried that in a while, but it sounds pretty good for some growling. I'm working on a Sludgey tune myself, with SnakeDog, and hopefully when he gets done with some way over the top guitars, you'll enjoy it also. Not quite as aggressive in the vocals, but hard, nonetheless.
Can't wait to hear more from you guys, as this was cool. I like Six Feet Under, and this is similar. Good riffs.

Thanks so much man!!! I'm definately adding to your rep.

I thought the guitar sounding really well for what it is to. (A 19" scale mini.... that's kinda the whole mini mortem thing.... little intruments.... lol :) )

If you ever want to collaborate, I'd love to. That's about the best qaulitity drum sound I can get, but I can do a lot more complicated stuff. Like weird beats in 7/8 time signatures and stuff..... Just let me know if you ever need me.

Thanks one more time.

*Edit* if you'd seriously like to hear more from us. I can email you the whole demo (basically 2 more songs, so you'd have all three). They're wave files.... If interested you can email me at jazzmasterwil@aol.com and just let me know. Thanks :)

JazzMasterWil said:
Thanks so much man!!! I'm definately adding to your rep.

I thought the guitar sounding really well for what it is to. (A 19" scale mini.... that's kinda the whole mini mortem thing.... little intruments.... lol :) )

If you ever want to collaborate, I'd love to. That's about the best qaulitity drum sound I can get, but I can do a lot more complicated stuff. Like weird beats in 7/8 time signatures and stuff..... Just let me know if you ever need me.

Thanks one more time.

*Edit* if you'd seriously like to hear more from us. I can email you the whole demo (basically 2 more songs, so you'd have all three). They're wave files.... If interested you can email me at jazzmasterwil@aol.com and just let me know. Thanks :)

I sent you an email. This is sort of like what I write. I don't do anything complicated, and not much real melody, just simple power chord rock. If you are interested, here is what I am currently working on. This is still pretty rough, but is starting to take shape...
Shades Of Grey

Not meaning to hi-jack, just something so you can see if you ever want to work on something. This tune will have a bunch of way out guitar wanking in all the empty spots. SnakeDog5050 does some really cool, and Spacey stuff, and is helping me on this. We wanted something over the top, and hopefully it will turn out that way.
I'd love to do some stuff with you. Just let me know.
Ed

Past the poor sonic quality and slight tempo fluctuations it's a solid rock song. Cool. Good cookie monster growler guy. If you guys rock out with little kid instruments you've got a hit show. I saw Dread Zeppelin once and the guitar player was dressed like Peter Frampton circa 76 - with the white jacket and fringes - and playing the tiniest stratocaster you ever saw like a complete madman with complete sincerity. Funniest scene ever.

Supercreep said:
Good cookie monster growler guy. If you guys rock out with little kid instruments you've got a hit show.... and playing the tiniest stratocaster you ever saw like a complete madman with complete sincerity.

Thanks for the compliments man.....

And yep we've got some pretty nice minis... the lead guiarist/vocalist has thing one on hold and should be getting it in about 2 weeks or so.

http://myspace-256.vo.llnwd.net/00335/65/21/335531256_l.jpg

He also has 2 mini strats and a mini tele.

I've got a bunch of minis too. (A warlock, a silver sparkle les paul, a and a sort of ibanez-ish one). Here's a really crap (inverted) pic of them.... it was too dark in there and they came out blurry and I didn't want to retake them.... my bad.

The big l.p. at the top that you can only see a litte of is a gibson studio standard.... the "el cheapo" model, but I love it the same ... I tried to get it in the shot for comparsion purposes, but it didn't fit... oh well...

https://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/JazzMasterWil/3minis.jpg

Cool huh? .... I'm working on getting an sweet "little guitar" like EVH played on "little guitars" a collector buddy on mine has it and I'm trying to talk him out of it....

Thanks again man. :D :D :D :D

*Edit*
DogMan.... I tried to put up another mp3, but I'm having a hell of a time doing it. So I emailed it to you.... there's a lot of rotary, surfy kind of sounds in there..... I can definately space rock.

I though shades of gray was good.... who plays drums in the final version? (Just out of curiousitity.)

And I was thinking about it and I'm not real sure if I could help you or not, all I can send is either tracks or mastered songs (in waves or mp3s.....). My 8 track will let you save from it to the computer (via u.s.b. cord) but I don't have any other computer related recording gear.....

Last edited:
Back