Homestudio door

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
My door isn´t treated yet. It is a 2" hollow wood door. I´m planning to change it to a 3" filled with insulation. What about the frame??. Do you recommend that I use the existing one and just add wood to meet the lenght needed for the new door??. If this is complicated and not a good option, I´ll do a new 2" door filling it with rockwool. I know that I need more mass but due to my budget I can´t afford something expensive.

Thanks
Alfonso

My door isn´t treated yet. It is a 2" hollow wood door. I´m planning to change it to a 3" filled with insulation. What about the frame??. Do you recommend that I use the existing one and just add wood to meet the lenght needed for the new door??. If this is complicated and not a good option, I´ll do a new 2" door filling it with rockwool. I know that I need more mass but due to my budget I can´t afford something expensive.

Thanks
Alfonso
I suggest looking around for a solid core door. I got lucky a while back, 'cause i guy down the street was refurbishing his house, and was throwing out half a dozen good, heavy, old, solid-core doors. I only needed three, but it was a great find for free. Before this, i had bought a fire door for £40. Imo, even a hollow-core door filled with insulation will be nothing compared to a solid core, unless you bulk it up with mdf(or something with a lot of mass).

Last edited:
I suggest looking around for a solid core door. I got lucky a while back, 'cause i guy down the street was refurbing his house, and was throwing out half a dozen good, heavy, old, solid-core doors. I only needed three, but it was a great find for free. QUOTE]

That's a great idea. There's a doctors office infront of my house that recently did alot of renovations, and they had four doors in the garbage. I grabbed one of them up, and it's work out very nicely for me.

I'd suggest taking a ride around town, and look for construction. Most wouldn't mind you rummaging around in their garbage.

Back