Homerepair.com

Irk

Does anyone have any advice on how to get my machine up and running? I have a Tascam 22-4. The tape slows to a halt eventually in recrod and playback. Some people say it's old tape build-up, some say it's other things. My question is what can I do without the aid of a professional. I have found one guy in my town who fixes reel to reel machines but can't locate him anymore. Suggestions?

Similar but slightly OT

I have a similar prob with my AKAI MG-1214 console. The tape, as you say, eventually grinds to a halt. I think it is the tape, even though originally thought it was the drive part of the deck. Sorry if this didnt help...

David : )

Sticky Shed Syndrome can do exactly what you guys are describing as a problem in that some older tape's binders, which is the glue that holds that magnetic oxide to the base layer of the tape, can see it's glue chemical composition break down and go back to it's original un-dry state.

When this happens, the tape will shed oxide badly! Also a squeaking sound can be heard from the tape itself as the friction of the glue sticking to everything in it's path will squeal at a higher pitch. Many users experience a slowing down or even a complete stop of tape movement with this problem of old, sticky tape shed.

If you are seeing an inordinate amount of oxide build up on the heads and guides and hear the noise, Sticky Shed is the culprit for sure.

If you're not seeing this phenomenon, then it could be a number of different things including worn out capstan drive belts, sticky brake issues on the reel motors or a host of voltage control issues.

Cheers! :)

Before you go any further buy a brand new tape. Many Radio Shack stores still have reel tape on hand, though they are officially discontinuing it. Use it for testing.

Getting a new tape is the best way to find out if the old tape is toast. It should always be the first step in troubleshooting these symptoms if all you have is old tape.

If you're not in a hurry order a better tape on-line.

http://www.arcal.com/456grandmaster.html

These machines were factory set for Ampex (now Quantegy) 406/407 (250 NW/m), but 456/457 is often used and gives you more head room.

:cool:

Make sure you clean the heck out of the heads and tape path before you try the new tape.

Back