Homerecording

47ronin

People seem to talk about equipment and what not, obviously, here. What I sometimes wonder is, if your music does attract the attention of a label, whether it be a big one or an indie, the music would likely be recorded in a real studio.
why slave away and spend billions on pre amps and shit when you are just making a demo that, if the song is awesome, could have been recorded on a boombox?

just checking

47ronin

i dont mean this as a flame, more of an existential question!

Well, I think you meant philisophical and not existential.

I don't think the first half of your equation is correct.

Most of us just record for fun and to hear what's in our heads come out of speakers. Many dream of fame and for them a better recording will even be more benifical.
It's not about spending a lot of money quite the opposite. For most of us it's about finding a hidden value like the RNC or just getting more for our hobby dollar.

I can't play a boombox recording for my chick in the car....that just sucks.
:p

I think most of the new bands making the demos, want their first one to be as good as it can, so the people that listin to them (Producers, labels and whatnot) can get any idea of what the band will sound like in a pro. area.

But their are some bands that have got away with it. The Vines got signed to Capital Records with just a shitty 4-track tape recording, and The Vines are pretty big now.

Like you said, it all depends on how well the song is written and if it makes you wanna bang your head around and scream. :D

I agree with these guys.

For me, I write a ton a songs. I have everything from hard rock & pop to techno or dance. I love going through my own process of recording, and then listening and sharing my work with others. And on the merit of the brothers <and sisters> here, have stocked on on some gear that has helped me do more.

I hav'nt been in a band for several years and may never be in one again. Sure like many, I would love to push my stuff, get signed and record with the pros. Then hit the road all summer long and spend the winters in the caribean with drugs and booze. It's just not in the cards for me though. I mean if I really wanted it I could really go for it but again, thats not the point.

The main thought here is this is a hobby. Like the people spending countless hours and money on old hotroads or model airplanes and trains. Or like the guy you probably know who bought the expensive fishing rod and real. Sure he could go after the sponsers to get him the REAL nice gear, but hes having fun in the meantime.
I guess I could also reference the $120 basketball shoes I had to buy 'till I get signed by the Lakers.

My long winded point is this:
Its all in a good time, and I'd rather burn up $2,000 bux on gear <like I have so far this summer> than on pretty much anything else. <all priorities aside>

Space

Well said Spaceboy. And besides even with demos, it's like homework, good handwritting counts.

47ronin said:

why slave away and spend billions on pre amps and shit when you are just making a demo that, if the song is awesome, could have been recorded on a boombox?

Two answers off the top of my head...

Short answer: It's fun.

Philosophical answer: I can track and mix the song so it reflects the unique way I hear it in my head. When you do original matierial with a band, even though it's YOUR song, the other members interpret their parts the way THEY hear and react to the melody. This isn't a bad thing, and usually results in something really beautiful... but it's not exactly what you heard when you wrote the song, and sometimes it's *very* different.

i guess i totally agree... i mean i am already plotting all kinds of new ridiculous gear i need. i just need to get it all before i get married....

i just feel like it is a bit crazy and selfish to do all this though....

47ronin

For me personally I'll just come out and admit that recording is a self gratifying masturbatory creative endeavor which allows me to play a God like role over a sonic creation.

I think that recording demos or a final product has always in essence been a "Boombox" going from 2 tracks to 4 to 8 to 16 (ect.ect.) with various levels of quality and accessible affordabilty changing over the years... Some of the home studios of today are kind of comparable to the Sun Records of yesterday.

It's an interesting topic. :)

I think part of the ambition of a lot of people here is to get as good a recording as possible, not just to demo a good song with the hopes of striking it big.

Ditto to everything that's been said.

I've been writing songs for more years than I care to admit and a few of them are actually worth hearing more than once or twice. Most of them are written on old hotel stationary or recorded on a cheap cassette player in a bar somewhere in Wisconsin. Truth be told - I'd like to have a decent recording of my songs for myself and anyone else who's interested in my musical creations.

If some big record contract falls into my lap, so be it. But it's not what I'm looking for.

It's a hobby. Some people collect stamps. Other folks rebuild old cars. Some people jump out of airplanes. I record music in my home!

Jay

1) If you're able to get good recordings of your material, then you're much more likely to get play on local radio; tons of stations have shows dedicated to local talent.

2) A well-recorded demo will help you get gigs. It will also help you get gigs at better places. Believe it or not, and call me crazy, but last time I checked both of these might help you in your quest to "get signed" or whatever.

3) A professional-sounding demo can be sold at these nicer gigs you were able to land for some extra $$$. Or on CD Baby or whatever. Smaller, independent labels might even release it as is.

4) If you're looking to attract other musicians, or to audition for bands, having recording gear (and space) helps. If it comes down to you and one other guy, it could be the tie-breaker. That or your ability/willingness to sing background vocals.

5) If the whole rock star thing doesn't quite pan out, then you might have something else to "fall back on."

6) Chicks . . . and your mom . . . will be impressed.

7) So will your girlfriend.

Back