homemade amp isolation box

AlienRage

i'm looking to make a homemade amp isolation box to stop inter-instrumental bleeding. if i just made a wooden box with heavy foam insulation inside, would this keep the sound from escaping to at least some degree?

i'm using an 80w peavey combo (bandit 112 - single 12"). i just wanna keep the drums from bleeding into the amp's mic and the amp from bleeding into the drum's mic.

Yes, it works, somewhat, especially if the box is in another room. I started with a heavy plywood shipping crate, lined it with 2 layers of carpet, then foam. You need to permanently install the cables in- one for the mic cable, one for a short power cord, and one for a 1/4" speaker cable, in case you've got just a cab in there. I put it 2 rooms away with 2 solid walls between the monster in a box and the drum mics.-Richie

Way back...I mean way back, I made one using some of the recommended studio isolation techniques. This thing turned out big but it worked...2x4 construction with drywall (yup) inside and out. Stuffed every crack and oriface with insulation and sealed it up with RTV. I worked reasonably well...my intent was to be able to crank the amp up to get it into over drive without pissing the next door neighbors off.

This might be more than what you're willing to take on.

Back