Homeish recorded song

Hi,

I would appreciate if you could say something about the mixing/song before I proceed in my paranoia. Pop/rockish, something.

Link: Relief#4.mp3

Dude this song seriously kicks ass. Awesome - I love it. It's right up my alley. I will seriously date myself, but it sounds a little like nothing but flowers era david byrne with a good singer with a great sense of melody, but with a more now feel.

On the hother hand - The mix sounds dull and phasey and I don't know if part of that is a low quality mp3 conversion. Can you give more details about your setup, the mixdown and what processing you are doing to the song?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I am having a hard time doing the vocals, it is recorded in a room with bad acoustics. I tried to make it fatter so I added a second vocal part with a pitch shifter which probably makes it sound phasey. The volume is quite the same on every instrument so the instruments are maybe a bit blurred in together?

I liked the song too. real cool.

Lot's of mix problems though. For most of the mix the vocal is way out in front. There is one "clean-ish" guitar that can barely be heard (it's a cool part though - what I can hear of it). It's a bit dull too. There is another more distorted guitar that is much louder.

The kick is way up front, but the snare is way back.

The reverbs on the the tracks were a bit "big" for this type of song.

Yeah man, cool song. The vocals and rhythm guitar remind me of some Nirvana. I agree with Triple about the mix problems. The transitions aren't really that smooth; which is more than likely caused by the different guitars coming in and out--again, just a mix issue. In my opinion, the effects on the guitars (especially the intro) and on the vocals need to be toned down a bit. I think it calls for a more edgy sound (think Nirvana) while what it's at now sounds like a California surf sound. Potential's there man! Keep at it!!

I liked the song too. real cool.

Lot's of mix problems though. For most of the mix the vocal is way out in front. There is one "clean-ish" guitar that can barely be heard (it's a cool part though - what I can hear of it). It's a bit dull too. There is another more distorted guitar that is much louder.

The kick is way up front, but the snare is way back.

The reverbs on the the tracks were a bit "big" for this type of song.

Thank you.

Ye, well it is supposed to be like a clean beginning of the verse and then break out a bit more in the middle. I have to play around a little with the settings.

Yeah man, cool song. The vocals and rhythm guitar remind me of some Nirvana. I agree with Triple about the mix problems. The transitions aren't really that smooth; which is more than likely caused by the different guitars coming in and out--again, just a mix issue. In my opinion, the effects on the guitars (especially the intro) and on the vocals need to be toned down a bit. I think it calls for a more edgy sound (think Nirvana) while what it's at now sounds like a California surf sound. Potential's there man! Keep at it!!

Thanks! Im a big fan of Nirvana. I know the transitions have to get a better build up in to the choruses. Thanks for the feedback, it's great. I don't wanna sound like California :).

Yeah, great stuff. no comments other than whats been said. Soundcloud sound terrible. I hate using it

very nice tune, I read the comments while listening and triple got it spot on I reckon, especially the comment on the reverb, its way to big...rather than use reverb on the vocals try a delay instead, will give it a sense of depth without shooting it to the back of the room

on the drums try to stick to small, tight, rooms...sometimes not putting the snare through the same reverb and using a gated one works as well and helps it stand out more

but all the elements for a great little track are there, i love the influences i hear and mixing can always be learned, talent is much harder :)

I think it's good like it is. There isn't anything that stands out for your average listener. You could do a lot of stuff to improve it as mentioned by the other guys, if you're a perfectionist like most of us and can't ever seem to get it perfect. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and move on. You'll learn as you go :D

Interesting song. I enjoyed it. I listened a while back but forgot to comment...listening again now...

I think some of the reverbs are too big for this and the drums are a little dull sounding. The snare in particular could pop or crack a little more maybe. Guitars sound cool and some of the parts are really unique sounding in a good way, but they could possibly be dried up some. Good performances. I just think you could tweak this mix a little to get the whole thing sounding a lot better.

Back