Home Studio Upgrade

SD88

I'm gonna upgrade my home studio and I'm gonna buy studio monitors and a USB mixing console on which of those I should spend a bit more than the other in case i had to, I was thinking Behringer Xenyx 2222USB and Gemini 6 inch studio monitors both are much or less at the same price. guys what you think??

Three questions.

What gear do you have at the minute?
Do you really need a mixer?
Does that xenxy output summed stereo over usb, or multiple discreet channels?

hahahaha sorry for being a noob but I did not understand the last question. and yes i do need a mixer cause i wanna upgrade from my simple UX2 to something I can actually record real drums in it, also I have read good reviews on the xenyx consoles both live and studio. and I need new monitors. does that answer you??

Kinda.
Forgive me if I'm patronising you, but most people who think they need a mixer, don't.

If there's going to be live use then fair enough, but if it's just studio recording I'd urge you to look at plain multichannel interfaces instead.
Presonus FP10 and Tascam us1800 are two examples.
It looks like the tascam is in your price range too!

The mixing is generally done in the computer now, so there's no real need for hands on faders etc.

The big pro studios often use consoles but the sheer quality of each module is a big part of the reason for that.
Also, they may be tracking to tape, or patching in various pieces of hardware etc.

That part you didn't understand;
Often these mixers do exactly that. They mix several signals into a stereo output.
That means your 8 microphones or whatever are already committed to stereo by the time the hit the computer.
That, of course, means you can't tweak the kick or snare, or whatever anymore.

Everything would have to be pretty much perfect at the tracking stage, which is a great thing to learn, but why would you want to limit yourself that way?

Granted, some of them do keep your tracks separate and are effectively multichannel interfaces with faders and eqs etc, but even then I don't really see the point.

I don't know that exact model, but behringer have many mixers with this stereo limitation.

Last edited:
That behringer mixer will allow you only 2 channels; as Steeno said. It isn't a good choice for recording; especially if you want to record drums. You will need a minimum of 4 channels to record drums. The interfaces that Steeno suggested will work better. You can use the behringer mixer for live use and use the stereo usb output to capture your live performance, but don't expect it to sound good.

Back