Home Studio new to this need thoughts on setup so far and help

Legacyy

I have a miniscule setup lol well compared to many that is pretty much bare basics. Currently using mbox mini pro tools le 8 with whatever update lol .1 .2 i have a akg c214 an dbx286a preamp
first off i'd like to hear thoughts on mainly the preamp and mic combo an any recomendations on what would be a better preamp for this mic. Also just some setting recommendations for the pre amp for clarity of vocals. Mainly all hip hop recording will be done. Lastly i'm getting logic 9 as well after many hours of researching lol so i need thoughts between that pro tools and any recommendations on any better daw thanks.:D

I have a miniscule setup lol...

The preamp on the Mbox should be fine. If you absolutely must burn through some money and don't need the extra functionality provided by the dbx286 then consider the 'cheap-seat-boutique-mic-pre-du-jour' Golden Age Pre73 or the 'old reliable' FMR Real Nice Preamp.

Frankly any DAW software much beyond Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio (which includes mastering tools but only records to two channels) seems like gross overkill for use with your Mbox.

I actually like the 286 and would use it with mbox. It's cheap, has tons of features and it's built like a tank. Learn how to use it and you will get great results.

Back