Home Studio MOnitors: Active, USB or passive?

Pykon

Hi,

I'm planning to buy some monitors that will start working from some 40 Hz.

My home mixing place is a 15 sq meter room so it doesn't need lots of watts.

Is the USB active monitor idea worth thinking?

Or should I look for active pair of monitors with S/PDIF in and they will do the job better?

Or maybe traditional passive ones?

Bi-Amped or not?

And something about the cost - of course it would be great to match low cost and quality, but what I'm looking for is some compromise - in other words to stop with price at the point where more money won't bring more sound accuracy and the differences between models become very subtle.

peace,

Mike

Your method of budgeting is too vague. How much or what price range do you want to spend?

Some 500-800 $.

And one more important issue: I'm using Line6 Gearbox software for amp modelling which normally sends to he UX2 TonePort outs in live mode. The question is if it's possible to send Grarbox-processed signals to USB monitors (=another sound card). It makes no problem with re-amping on Gearbox, but to play guitar and listen to it at the same time could be a challenge as this app sticks to its own hardware (TonePort) outs.

Best,

Mike

I would not use USB monitors. Your Toneport is a great interface, so I would get active monitors and use them out of the Toneport. For $500-$800, you can get some really good monitors. Google for Mackies, KRK's, Adam's and you will find something. There are lots of others as well.

I would not use USB monitors. Your Toneport is a great interface, so I would get active monitors and use them out of the Toneport. For $500-$800, you can get some really good monitors. Google for Mackies, KRK's, Adam's and you will find something. There are lots of others as well.

OK, so let's make it easier.

a) Yamaha HS80M;

b) KRK VXT6, VXT8;

c) KRK Rookit 6, Rookit 8.

a), b) or c)?

Anyone knows how they perform/compare?

Mike

You'll get a lot of opinions about monitors! Any chance you can get to a music store and audition some before you make your choice? That would be best.

If I had a gun to my head and had to select from the options you posted, I'd pick the Yamahas but there are a lot of choices.

Keep reading reviews and listen to some if you can. Good luck

Anyone knows how they perform/compare?
Hi Mike:
Monitors are expensive, as you can see, so finding someone who's had a whole bunch of different monitors is hard to do. That and their opinions would be entirely subjective.
For what it's worth, I have the Behringer 2030 A and love them.

being in europe you ought to have access to tannoy... i've got a pair of reveal powered here... and i love these things... i purchased mine while selling audio a few years back... i had access to mackie and jbl too at the time and i thought the tannoys were the ones to go to...

I have a cool reference amp...so passive was for me...but going active is about the only way to go nowdays...I dont think they even sell the passives anymore:confused:

Sometimes on craigslist there are cool sets of passive nearfields and midfields...Ive even seen those JBLs with the twin 15" woffers and the horns for cheap...those dont come active.

Back