Home Studio Foam?? Anyone??

I'm curious why there isn't a single NRC rating ANYWHERE on their site. The "reviews" say the stuff looks good, is of good quality, but not too much info about how well it does what it's supposed to do.

I notice they have the flame retardency ratings listed.

The "test chamber" looks pretty suspect too.

Wow, so if you crank a speaker into a plywood box it sounds like shit??? Who woulda guessed???

I don't know...... it all looks pretty dubious to me. I mean, it probably does what foam does. But is that what you want???

Bwahahahaha.... that's a good point...

I didn't see any frequency list or NRC ratings either.

hmmm... maybe I will email them and ask :)

Velvet Elvis

Have you listened to the "sound samples" where they compare the untreated sound with the treated? The acoustic and snare (the only two I listened to) sound horribly dead and unexciting with the foam treatment. The snare goes from being bright and lively to sounding like a cardboard box (duh). I am not too sure what they are trying to accomplish by having those samples up there.

hmmmm.....

*Elvis glares at frederic*

Keep laughing at me and I might be having fried monkey for dinner :)

Velvet Elvis

I emailed the company....

This is what they said:

"We have not individually tested the new foam bun stock products since they are so new, especially the WaveFuser, which is less than two months old. It should be at least in-line with other high quality 2lb density polyester acoustic wedge tiles (acoustic foams, not packaging foams).

We hope to have NRC data soon.

Thanks for your inquiry."

Velvet Elvis

hahahaha...

My car is a total "daddy" cruiser...

Kid's car seats... toys... soccer ball and baseball sun screens in the back window...

But at least I don't have a spoiler :)

Velvet Elvis

I *do* have my beloved SUV... but only for about another month.

When we had our second child, I had to give it up to my wife... because the double stroller wouldn't fit in the car.

Now that we've had our third child (man... maybe I need to spend MORE time in the studio, because its obvious I stink at birth control ;P) the SUV is no longer big enough... its being traded in on a *gulp* minivan.

So (to tie back to the subject) THIS is why I need to sound proof my studio... so that no one hears my weeping down in the basement late at night in the studio... sitting there crying over my long lost SUV :)

Velvet Elvis

So (to tie back to the subject) THIS is why I need to sound proof my studio... so that no one hears my weeping down in the basement late at night in the studio... sitting there crying over my long lost SUV :)

Sounds like its about time to get a black corvette, and earing, and some flash money :)

yeaaaaaaaa boooooiy!!!!

Now you're talking.

Actually that's what the studio is... my 'stay young' area... the room just to the OTHER side of the slant wall is my home theater room (which by the way will ALSO be setup to be an additional live room if needed).

So... the basement is mine... I pick the colors, the carpet, the furniture etc :) mine mine mine :)

Velvet Elvis

So... the basement is mine... I pick the colors, the carpet, the furniture etc :) mine mine mine :)

heh-heh.

When we moved here, my wife staked claim on a bedroom, to be her office. I staked claim on the garage loft and 1 of the 2 garage bays, and the basement is a giant pantry closet, server farm, and laundry room.

It all worked out just dandy.

Son of Mixerman said:
Looks like the foambymail stuff which has decent prices and reasonable NRC ratings like the others like the Auralex.

SoMm

Foambymail seems to have the exact same stuff as homestudiofoam, but cheaper.

I just got a 48pieces-pack foambymail through ebay. But I'll have to wait a while before I get them..... :(

Leeking said:
Foambymail seems to have the exact same stuff as homestudiofoam, but cheaper.

I just got a 48pieces-pack foambymail through ebay. But I'll have to wait a while before I get them..... :(

I got the Basstraps from foambymail. 16ft worth. I trapped one full corner behind the console, 1 little corner behind the console to the left. Both corners by the monitors and a couple of small corners were I though bass may have been building up.

Dropped in a sinewave starting at 100hz and moved around the room mainly in the back where I had a huge bass build up. Dropped the sinewave lower and lower and I was impressed. It may not be pro stuff like Ethans, but it did help a lot.

Now Im gonna pick up a couple of Ethan's and really kill those lows. LOL

Surely makes monitoring easier too !

Malcolm

Back