home studio confusion

Jeb

Hello all

I'm new here, so bare with me. My name is Jerry and I will be building a home studio with aspirations of turning it into a semi-pro studio in a couple of years. The problem is that I have found it easier to buy a car. So I need help from people who know what I'm going through.

First, I wanted to build 2 iso booths , one is a drum cage and the other I will use for guitar/vocals until I can afford to build 2 more.

Equipment
Mackie 24/8 Mixing console
Mackie sdr24/96 24 bit recorder
Behringer/DBX/ART for my rack untill i can afford to upgrade DBX EQ's and Behringer Compressors for my drums and an Alesis clx 440 for vocals as com/limiter/expander.

Well I now have a big problem. Every time I go to a local shop and tell them what I am looking for, I always get: "no, you dont need all that. This is much better." Then they attempt to sell me the Yamaha AW4416 or the Roland vs-2480 and how these are way better than what I want to buy.

So my question is this, what would you do? Go my route or go with them on this one. I have a budget and can afford either one, but I demand good sound and quality recording. I don't care for the prossesed sound of all digital studios. Am I wrong or right? Please give me your 2Cents.

Jerry

I like option # 1 better

I'd go with the mixer, and separate recorder of your choice.
The "all in one" units like the Roland sacrifice sevreral things for convienience. They use data compression to save hard drive space, and the built in mixers are limited and cumbersome to use.

You can upgrade components and effects units as you can afford it.

Dom Franco;)

Actually that Yamaha unit looks pretty cool at a glance.

If your just getting started you may want to consider a setup like that until you get your recording chops down. Concentrate your $ on getting your actual studio set up properly, building a good mic locker, and getting a good monitor setup.

Thank you for your info and when i get every thing built ill post a picture.

First i think ill be happier with the console and rack. my rooms are going to nice 1 the drum room will be 10x10x7 and I will be using a floating floor filled with sand the walls will be decoupled as well as the cieling. i will be building 2x6 walls with a total of three sheets of gypsum rc-1 rubber iso barrier and studio foam for sound control and the window will be 2 sheets of 1/2 inch glass 5x3 foot. is this overkill i want to be able to record at 3am if needed without waking the my wife up.

thanks for your info

Jerry

I agree with Dom.
If you get an "All-in-one-box", what you have is ALL it will EVER be.
It is a dead end path!
Get yourself a separate mixer, recorder, build yourself a nice mic cabinet, and get some quality outboard gear.

Don't be afraid to build your equipment list over a long period of time.
Set a goal, and stay the course, no matter how long it takes.
You'll come out ahead in the long run.

my rooms are going to nice 1 the drum room will be 10x10x7

That's pretty small and square for a drum room IMHO. Better plan on some good low frequency treatment in there.

From the 7' ceiling I assume it's in a basement.

Hey Jerry!

Go separates. With your dreams of wanting to become a semi-pro place in the future, separates will seem more like a recording studio to your potential clients. The AIO (All-In-One) units would be great for the songwriter, but if you've got the $$$ to get the stuff you are talking about when the paying clients come through the door the console/recorder/rack layout will be best.
(Disclaimer: I didn't say you can't get paying clients in with an AIO box nor am I saying that records can't be done on them. But at the serious facilities you are going to see a console and a stand alone recorder along with a rack of gear.)

What local shops have you gone into? Mom's? Doo Wop Shop?Also, what part of Louisville are you in? I grew up there and still have family there.

hey im in valley station i have tried far out music and moms but like i said they want to sell me an all in one unit

Jerry

Cool. I grew up between Okalona and Fern Creek on the Outer Loop.
You may have to go to someplace in Nashville. One of the problems with Louisville is that Nashville is so close that people who are looking for Pro studio type stuff go there. If you don't mind used stuff you might check out the Thrifty Nickel that is put out in Nashville. A lot of recording stuff gets advertised in there.

What are you going to use for reverb and effects?

Another guy that wanders through here occasionally is BlindDogBlues and he's got a studio called Blind Dog Studios out in Crestwood. (www.blinddogstudios.com)

Back