Home Stereo Bookshelf System

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

I am looking for advice about what to look for when shopping for a home stereo bookshelf system. I'm only looking to spend about $200, but I have a feeling there is a wide range of quality at that price point and I don't know how to distinguish between something decent, something crappy, and something overpriced. Would it be wise to look for something with a subwoofer? Does anyone have a brand name they would recommend?

My apologies in advance if I'm wasting your time with this one.

For recreational use. I know this has nothing to do with recording, but I figure you guys know about this stuff and I couldn't find a home stereo forum.

Try a Google search for Cambridge Soundworks and one for Tivoli Audio. Same engineers, same guy who started KLH and Advent - the late, great Henry Kloss.

Also look for Boston Acoustics. Of you want to build something, Level Three Systems is pretty interesting for the money.

Treeline said:
Try a Google search for Cambridge Soundworks and one for Tivoli Audio. Same engineers, same guy who started KLH and Advent - the late, great Henry Kloss.

Also look for Boston Acoustics. Of you want to build something, Level Three Systems is pretty interesting for the money.

Cambridge Soundworks looked promising, but they only carry 3 different bookshelf stereo systems and all of them accomodate one CD at a time only. I would prefer a 5 disc carousel, but I don't want a component system. I suppose I prefer a 3-piece system (2 speakers, 1 body), digital tuning radio, the ability to change CDs while one is playing, no casette deck, back-lit display, remote control, and subwoofer (may not be feasable $-wise). Maybe I should just get a home theater surround system and play music CDs in it as well as DVDs and forego the radio.

Tivoli, same deal, only one CD. Boston Acoustics only makes speakers, no bookshelf stereo systems.

Last edited:
There's a Sony 340 watt home stereo system with powered subwoofers and clear loud sound that will loosen all of your fillings if you turn it up too high (without distortion BTW) and it's currently on sale for Christmas in places like KMart and Best Buy for under $200. It has a 3 or 5 cd changer (I forget which) it does have a double cassette deck, and a pretty good tuner. Home stereo snobs will turn their nose up at it, but if you're looking for good high volume and well rounded sound, this is a great unit for the price.

Back