home recoRRRRRRRDDDDDIng setup

fuk_tHElaWzzz

Ive been looking into recording rap vocals on my home pc. I was thinking of an Audio-Technica AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone and
E-MU 0202 USB 2.0 Audio interface to run my setup. Do you think I could get cd quality sound with this???How long are the cords on mics like this? Im looking for the best quality sound of MY VOCALS for my buck. do you think this setup will get the job done?????????????

CD Quality? as in 44.1khz and 16 bits? yes.

the cords are as whatever length you buy.

this setup will not get you the best quality, but hey you get what you pay for. i guess the AT2020 is not too bad of a mic.

how much more money would I have to spend to get better quality from an interface?? Any that you might have in mind?? Remember just for vocals

You could grab a Presonus firebox and an AT 3035 might do you justice. About 200 more than what you're already planning on spending and you get a better preamp and a better mic. The AT's are fairly bright microphones. I don't know what YOUR voice sounds like to know if that's a good or bad thing though.

damn thats a lil outta my $$$$ range IM a poor mexican tryn to record my raps.... Any usb interfaces that can get the job done for a lil bit more than tha emu??

From my experience the Studio Projects B1 is one of the best mic's ever made in its price range, I have heard it and think it sounds great. With a Presonus Firebox and a B1, it may not sound as good as a professionally released C.D., but it could also sound better, just depends on what you are comparing it with.

fuk_tHElaWzzz said:
damn thats a lil outta my $$$$ range IM a poor mexican tryn to record my raps.... Any usb interfaces that can get the job done for a lil bit more than tha emu??

not really, you should be OK with what you have right now. just save up for a while. the EMU and AT2020 will get you by until you can afford a serious upgrade.

So that well get the job done?? (semi) i actually dont have em yet im still shopping around. seeing as im a poor mexican is there anything cheaper that can compare to what Im getting WITHOUT sacrificing quality?? Thanks 4 tha help fellaz
:cool:
oH yeah also if I just spent the extra money to say get just the firebox and bought the Audio-Technica AT2020 for 100 less would I be expecting professional quality??

fuk_tHElaWzzz said:
So that well get the job done?? (semi) i actually dont have em yet im still shopping around. seeing as im a poor mexican is there anything cheaper that can compare to what Im getting WITHOUT sacrificing quality?? Thanks 4 tha help fellaz

no. you can't.

fuk_tHElaWzzz said:
oH yeah also if I just spent the extra money to say get just the firebox and bought the Audio-Technica AT2020 for 100 less would I be expecting professional quality??

what do you mean 100 less? the AT2020 is only 100 to begin with!

the EMU and AT2020 will work fine for you, it's just rap music anyway. but the Firebox should be a noticeable improvement over the EMU. i really couldn't say for sure, because i haven't used either (i do have a Firepod though, and i like it). but for the price of the EMU, i can say for sure that there is not going to be anything that's any cheaper that will sound any better. the world just doesn't work that way, sorry.

MadHatterTCM said:
I think he was referrring to 100 less than the mic I was suggesting

well in that case, i'd recommend getting the EMU and the more expensive mic to start with, instead of the other way around.

Exactly the information I was looking for... How long are the cords on the mic usually??? Do i have to buy em seperate?? Anybody had success with other mics under 100 bucks for vocals besides the AT2020??

ok mr pudding youR CORRECT mexicans are lazy b@stards that dont know how to use the search function.. So answer this.. do the quality of my cables really matter that much??/ take my setup into account also.

I wouldn't use 'cd quality' as a benchmark when shopping in that price range. Mainly because you probably don't have any money to spend on room acoustics.
For $200,- your raps just won't sound as good as those from Dr Dre's studio.
You'll can have a lot of fun though with $200,- worth of gear.

Don't forget to buy a pop screen or make one yourself. Using one will make a big difference.

BTW. I liked my MXL V67G (a friend is borrowing mine for like a year now). It just caught a lot of room reflections though (fairly wide cardioid pattern) so in my stinky, non-treated bedroom it didn't work that well.

Back