HOME RECORDIST! List your chain.

dreib

Im always contemplating what I should buy next , I look online , read reviews and almost always get more confused and even more undecided afterwards!

Specifically I am thinking about getting a new Interface?

Anyway if you have a HOME studio list your current setup, DAW, and signal chain, I realize mics will vary by whats being recorded so just list your go to vocal mic or favorite.

Here's mine:

Windows 8 laptop

Reaper

AT4047/SV

Tascam US1800

M-audio Monitors--Don't remember which ones except they were cheap.

Also,I sometimes use an ART TPS II--- Mic pre

Windows 8 PC
AMD Triple-core, 4Gb Ram
Reaper
Audiobox USB
Boss BR-800
SM58 or Chord CM05
No proper monitors as yet - using hi-fi speakers and headphones to mix.

SM7B - WBS M470 preamp - motu 828mk2 - Mac Pro - Protools 11 - Mackie HR624.

Doesn't sound half as good as Greg's 57 into a flip-phone, though.

Computer : Dell Core2Quad Q9550 2.83gHz - Windows 7 Pro 64bit - 4Gb RAM (Upgrade from my old P4, purchased last week with some very helpful knowledge and guidance from Steenamaroo. This thing is fast as %^&* for an oldie.)

DAW : Reaper 64Bit

Soundcard : M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 (Been running for over 10 years now in various computers)

Preamps : Studio Projects VTB1 - Alesis MicTube Solo (I did have a Tascam US800 that I used for recording drums in my old band (it served it's purpose) but I was never really a fan of the pres. I found them too clean for my personal taste so that got sold.)

Mics : Studio Projects B1 - Red5 Audio RV6 - MXL990 - AKG D680S - and an assortment of other misc/cheap mics.

Headphones : Red5 Audio RVH90

I don't have proper monitors. My soundcard outputs to a Wharfedale Sys 5000 Amplifier which runs 2 Altantic 300's. (Loud as hell)

I also have a Roland VS2480 24 track which I picked up cheap and repaired. Currently being used as a Controller for Reaper which is handy but it may be sold in the near future to raise funds for a new drum kit.

A single SM57 is all you ever need. Anything else makes you an audio snob.

Only a ss..nahubb.. would say such a thing
:rolleyes: :p

Ok back to the show
RME ADI-8's, RADAT, noisy tower, Sonar
A few fun preamps; 3 Chameleon's, Precision8, Mic-e. RNP..

Oh forgot, one of the links in the chain.. Central Station

Last edited:
All of my favorite gear is in my signature. Other than that I have some MXL mics, EZDrummer2 and Steven Slate for drum samples, Melodyne just because I can, and after Christmas I hope to have the fabled AA-427 :D

I am pretty much as my sig, For the most part, either the M-Audio or Tascam. I am still struggling with mics, so there is no "go to" mic.

@TadPui - How are you liking Melodyne? I have it when they released it with Tracktor for $50. But can't say if I like it or not. Plus I feel kind of embarrassed to use it.

Quit being difficult, your recordings always sound good, spill the beans .

That's kind of you to say and I appreciate that, but honestly, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else uses. You're not me or them. You're you. I'll tell you this....you probably already use "better" recording gear than I do.

But how are your source sounds? Mine are really fucking good.

That's kind of you to say and I appreciate that, but honestly, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else uses. You're not me or them. You're you. I'll tell you this....you probably already use "better" recording gear than I do.

I vowed many many years ago to never to set foot in Houston ever again , BUT, if by some twist of terrible luck I end up in that god forsaken hell hole ever again I will track you down, look at your set up (somehow) and post it on this sight. To find you I figure all I would have to do is go to any Guitar Center in the area and describe you. A Drummer who loves Gibsons and Marshalls and hates sales dudes from Guitar Center would be my starting description!!

I vowed many many years ago to never to set foot in Houston ever again , BUT, if by some twist of terrible luck I end up in that god forsaken hell hole ever again I will track you down, look at your set up (somehow) and post it on this sight. To find you I figure all I would have to do is go to any Guitar Center in the area and describe you. A Drummer who loves Gibsons and Marshalls and hates sales dudes from Guitar Center would be my starting description!!

To be fair, Greg doesn't hide the important bits.
You wouldn't have to look too hard to find a picture of 3 marshall heads, 2x4x12 cabs, and a couple of gibsons. :p

Seriously though. I don't know if you're kidding or not but I'd be shocked if he's using anything more than a firepod and an sm57.
Drums? I duno what mics he has but I bet it came as a kit.

I am pretty much as my sig, For the most part, either the M-Audio or Tascam. I am still struggling with mics, so there is no "go to" mic.

@TadPui - How are you liking Melodyne? I have it when they released it with Tracktor for $50. But can't say if I like it or not. Plus I feel kind of embarrassed to use it.

I hear ya about being embarrassed of it. Part of me is a little ashamed to use it, but when it comes down to it, I'm the main audience for my own music and I don't have a lot of patience with my own vocals. When I listen to stuff of mine from a decade ago (or a week ago for that matter), I can wince and bear the hacky recordings themselves. But sour notes on the vocals really bug me, and Melodyne is a pretty natural-sounding way to fudge the pitch on the notes that I miss. I stopped feeling bad about it.

Half the time I'm in the opposite boot', decent gear but people I record half the time seem can't be bothered with putting the time/effort in up front.
But hey, now my 'polishing' skills are frickin great though :rolleyes:

If you ever come to Houston please let me know and I will personally give you a tour of my entire house. You can plug in to my amps and sit behind my kit and we will record you on my gear. You will see that my process is laughably neanderthal and anything good that I do is because my source sounds are awesome and I play my kind of music like a professional motherfucker.

Having said that, besides my actual instruments of music, which admittedly are top drawer, the rest is average home recording consumer stuff at best. I'm not trying to hide anything. My stuff is no secret. It's the same mics and shit millions of other people use. It's all the same. When you're in the middle of consumer gear, it's all the same, and your source sounds make all the difference. The only time mics, pres, and interfaces matter is when you're using absolute shit, or jillion dollar audiophile stuff. Everything in-between is the same.

To be fair, Greg doesn't hide the important bits.
You wouldn't have to look too hard to find a picture of 3 marshall heads, 2x4x12 cabs, and a couple of gibsons. :p

Ahem, it's four Marshall heads, three 4x12 cabs, three Gibsons. And a partridge in a pear tree.

Back