home recording

culverboy

hi, i am using my pc to make my own music, i am new to all this and was wondering is it possible for me to send my recordings direct to my own four track recorder. if so, what software and leads would i need. thank u.

You need a soundcard with 4 outputs. Your current SW will most likely do just fine (what are you using?).

thanks ola but i am as green as green with all this.(newbie)
what does sw stand for. sound??????? something.
sorry for being a bit of a dummy

Oh, sorry. SW = Software.

Regular soundcards have two outputs: one left and one right (for stereo). Studio soundcards can have more outputs so you can play four separate tracks from your SW to your four track recorder. I don't see the point of doing that though. It would be better to record and mix everything on the computer.

/Ola

ola and gidge thanks.
the reason i want to use my four track is i am not sure how to record vocals using my pc.
also don't you need lots of disk space?
and what about quality.
if i am wrong, can you please advise as i wouild like to try to get my head around all of this.
thanks alan in the UK

the reason i want to use my four track is i am not sure how to record vocals using my pc.
At the very least you could use your 4-track as a mic preamp and get the same dignal onto hard disk that you can to tape.

also don't you need lots of disk space?
Depends on what you mean by "lots." 16-bit/44.1kHz digital audio is approx. 5 MB per minute per track. These days you can get 30 GB hard drives for around $100.

and what about quality

The quality you get by recording digitally to your computer will blow the 4-track away, even with an inexpensive soundcard like a SoundBlaster Live...

hook up the stereo outs to the line in of your soundcard...this will probably be a 2-RCA wire to 1 - 1/8" stereo?......plug your mics or instruments into the 4 track as normal, but instead of pressing record on the 4 track, press record in the software......

check out n-track
www.fasoft.com

how much disk space to you have available?.....

Back