Home Recording Setup - Help!

Kinapuffar

Hi!

Okay, so here is the situation..

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro 2,3 Ghz quad-core with 8gb of ram to use Garageband, since I occassionally use garageband on my iphone.

Now, I also got a "Soundcraft Compact 4" a couple of years ago as a gift, but with no cables (?!), I can however connect it to a power source.

I wonder if this "Soundcraft Compact 4" would work on Garageband on a MacBook Pro and more importantly, what cables do i need to connect it to the computer??

I have a microphone and a cable that can be connected to the mixer and a guitar cable to connect my guitars and my bass.

Now, do I need any cables to connect the mixer itself to the computer or any other device in order to make it work?

I have heard of something called "pre-amps" but I don't know if that's something I am going to need?

Your Soundcraft IS a mic preamp. Two actually. What you don't have is a way into and out of your computer. You need an interface of some kind. There are lots, which one depends on your needs.

Read the sticky'ed threads here about computer recording (for Newbies) and about using mixers. The Soundcraft does not have a USB output, so you will need to go into the soundcard input on your Macbook, which most likely is not going to give you very good sound - you would need a cable/adapters to go from the ouput of this mixer to your mix or line input on the computer. The Soundcraft has preamps for microphone and instrument use.

Okay so I was thinking about these products..

The M-Audio Fast Track C400 Audio Interface - store.apple.com/se/product/H8970LL/A/m-audio-fast-track-c400-audio-interface?fnode=MTY1NDA3MA&s=topSellers

and The Sontronics STC-6 Handheld Condenser Microphone - jam.se/studio/mikrofontillb/A74203

I know that the M-audio fast track is going to work on mac but is the condenser mic gonna work?? or is there some cheaper alternatives that would work??

Back