home recording setup (help needed)

reeler78

hi everyone.could really use your help and advice.im just starting my first home studio on a small buget. had previously been recording vocals/electro acoustic and some keyboard direct into the pc line in and recording in cool edit pro 2.0.however want to start taking thing more seriously and would really appreciate if you could tell me if the equiptment listed below is decent enough to get me started and if ive missed any important piece of recording gear out which ill need to get me on the right track. ive already invested in the rode nt1a and did buy the tascams us144mk11 but had nothing but problems with it so got rid of the interface and thinking of this set up instead.would this setup below do a decent job? cheers:) rode nt1a
m audio profire 610 audio interace (firewire) and recording software
m audio bx5a studio monitors(active)
roland juno dm keyboard(prefer this aproach over midi controller)
ibanez ael20e electro acoustic
sony mdrv6 headphones
ill also be recording all my tracks one at a time if this helps.thanks again for any help.cheers

That looks good as an initial set-up to me.

Two things I'd look at though - does the M-Audio actually come with recording software. Even if it does I'd suggest buying something proper like Cubase or something. You might also want to invest in some decent plugins too. You can get some pretty cheap ones these days that are pretty good.

Also, with the keyboard, does that have MIDI? You might not want to use it now but the more you get into it the more you'll want to start using MIDI. That's been my experience anyway. I started just using the keyboard sounds but have moved to MIDI because of the great sounds you can get from all the cool MIDI programs that are out there.

Cheers.

thanks for advice..the interface comes with ableton i think.but i also have cubase le on my computer.id be going the roland route mainly because my pc isnt that great and believe alot of ram and so on is needed if i was to take the midi controler route,,cheers

Cool. All looks good then.

I started on Cubase LE and am now using C5. There's no way I could go back to LE now but it was a good place to start for me - just needed more plugins. At that stage I just used the free ones you can d/l off the net.

Ableton would be fine too.

Hope you have fun with it all. :)

You should also look into room treatment there's tons of posts about it in the studio building forum. At least get some bass traps, and absorption for your first reflection points or you won't be getting nearly what you could be out of your monitors.

I would also recommend another mic to make a stereo pair for that guitar. Trust me, it will sound real nice.

will definately be looking into room treatment and what to buy.also if i was to purchase another mic for the stereo micing of my guitar would a shure sm57 do the trick or would you purchase another condenser mic..cheers

An sm57 would work and could be used for other stuff as well, but you might want to consider another condenser too.

Back