Home Recording/Pro Tools

coolasvanillaic

Hey Guys,

For a while Ive been recording with my crappy Emachines and my soundblaster Live! But now I want near studio quality recordings. I basically want something I can be proud of.

WHats the WHole deal with Pro Tools? Ive heard so much about it and Im interested in knowing if its worth the money. Is it possible to get studio quality recordings with a budget of say around $1000, maybe a little more? IS it more of the equipment, or more of the skill in mixing and mastering or both? I have the time to sit down and learn to mix better, but what equipment should I have first? And yes, I know monitors are important so other than monitors, what else should I get? I hate to sound like a newbie here, but I guess I am one. Well Im just a guy who isnt happy with the recordings hes getting.

Any links, suggestion?

Oh and my brother keeps telling me about Audiophile, any good?

Thanks a lot guys

Matt

At first, the quality of recording is limited by your skills. It almost doesn't matter what you start with- just push it and push it until you KNOW that it is no longer your skill that is the bottleneck, but the equipment. Try everything, read everything, explore every trick and technique you can with what you have until you know why your recordings aren't getting any better.

THEN it is the hardware that becomes the bottleneck. That's the time to research what piece of gear will best fill the need you are now aware of for the best price. As soon as you buy a higher quality piece of gear, your skill magically becomes thebottleneck until you've learned how that piece of gear works.

Pro Tools is no magic bullet and the only advantages it offers the home recordist are:

1) Compatibility with many (but not all) professional studios.
2) Highly integrated hardware and software- it tends to work very well once you get it working.

That's it, and its well worth the money of you need #1, particularly. The multitude of other systems combinations out there can frequently get you the same results at a lower cost.

I've never used the audiophile, but it has a well known reputation as an excellent deal around here.

Take care,
Chris

Back