home monitors

jbal122819

I've been using NS-10's for years and have no experience with any other monitors in my bedroom studio.
What would you consider a healthy step up the quality ladder. My music is mostly retro 60's and country.
opinions welcome

jbal122819 said:
I've been using NS-10's for years and have no experience with any other monitors in my bedroom studio.
What would you consider a healthy step up the quality ladder.
You could buy just about anything and it would be a step up!

Look at Yorkville YSM-1s, various models of KRK, and if you have the budget, some Adams....

junplugged said:
when you upgrade, keep your old ones up to compare
Great idea if you can afford it...I upgraded from Alesis active M1's to Event ASP8s and the difference in the lo-mids was unreal when I went back to the M1's to compare...exactly what an upgrade should be - a step up. Hard to prove sometimes without the former gear though. Although when I went from computer speakers to the M1's I did discover "the stereo image" - so that was a great success also! :D

Just about anything of decent quality is a step up from NS10s, and there have been several excellent suggestions on this board like the KRKs and the Yorkvilles. I'm also suprised noone has brought up the Genlecs yet.

As no one has yet mentioned my absolute favorites in the near-field category, I feel compelled to hawk them now: Mackie HR824s. They are active monitors (bi-amped: per monitor, 100W on the tweeter dome, 150W on the bass cone) which for my ears, room, and taste are the cleanest, most accurate near-fields sold. You mileage may vary, but you gotta give them at least an A/B listen against whatever else you might be looking at.

G.

Back