Home hobby X Y and A B ideas

mark1971a

I have been recording my music for many years. As a hobby mono cassette port 03 Tascam mono beginnings. My rig is pretty nice, but old. Recently I switched to reaper DAW from an old A8 fostex reel setup. With it I have been playing with X Y mic setting and A B format for stereo widening. Trying to capture the close and far together. Anybody have any tips for the stereo mic methods? My pre allows polarity shift, does one mic need to be reverse polarity in x y?

quick run of equipment, 2 sm58s, 2 nt1a, 2 EV Co7s as mics go. Eazy drummer. Reaper. Toneport UX2. DRRI. GK MBE. DX7 and Y808 keys. And a few rack pieces DBX 1066 and sc 1231, and Aphex pre, compellor, exiter. VC6, and AVP1.

My tastes of recording sound is really just trying to mimick the rich oldies and pop top 40. Current wow favorite is Long wave by Jeff Lynne. Awesome sounds on that one.

Zoom, Good. A lot of that article was beyond my understanding.

So do most studios record in w x y z format? Any body here realize the benefits of this 3d music space? What do you use to do this?

Here is a clip, 30 seconds , of what I could do on the analog 8 track. please give me some pointers, to try and get the same quality in a daw . Recording the same to a daw sounds almost desolate.

[

Yes , the ips is turned up a little. But it sounds good. I wanted to come in on a thump , thump and then splash in.

Last edited:
This is what I can do with reaper . 20 sec clip. no digital reverb.
[

I watched a bunch of tutorials on normalizing clip, cutting , pasting and it is awesome.

1/4" Tape it was me with one or two takes and a punchin here and there.

No tape hiss, but it sounds dead.

Same basic rack pre comp chain as always. 4:1 ratio only it has some bbe vsts in the master....etc.

Last edited:
One more thing, It is possible that I am on the wrong track. Yes, the voices are different , and the guitar are different, and the drum programing is 2 different kits. Even so the DAW is absolutely sterile?

This could be some other hardware/software problem. Does it sound like a ASIO problem? A sound card limitation? Where should I look next ? Cause it sounds relatively lifeless. Any gain to extract power turns scratchy.

Last edited:
Back