Home band recording

"How will a mixer play into this set up? Is it that a mixer will allow the live volumes to be regulated so that not one instrument is overpowering? Also with a mixer, could I potentially connect an electric guitar and a bass guitar straight to a mixer and then have one line out to the same amp?"

Good question and I see others have been very helpful. I shall put in my 2 pen o th FWIIW!

Imagine for a moment that all the players had 'proper' kit, i.e. the keys were amped up? Imagine too that they were in a nice sounding hall. In theory you could plonk your handheld recorder out front and record the band. In practice this rarely works, most often the drums are too loud. Oh it CAN be good! Take a jazz quartet that have been performing for 30 years. They will have developed a wonderful internal musical balance and recording them with a fairly basic mic rig would be a dream job. "Pop" bands are I doubt ever like that.

All the band members need to hear themselves and all need to hear each other. Until the equipment setup allows that to happen I don't think you can make a satisfactory recording. The mixer for just one thing would allow the keys player to hear themselves on headphones and a bit of everyone else. If you are buying at least one set of headphones get 'keys' a set of 'closed back' cans. I am sure many here can make suitable recommendations?

Dave.

I've done a similar recording using my Sanyo video camera for the video, and a Zoom R24 for the audio. 3 channels for drums, one channel for vocals (fed from the PA mixer), one for bass and 3 for guitars. I mix everything down in Reaper, then paste the audio into the video using Powerdirector. Since it's a guitar based jam session situation, I never know how many and who will be playing.

If I knew it was going to be only 4 people like your situation, I could probably get by with 6 channels. My mixer has 8 mics in and 4 subchannels. I could use 4 mics on drums, mixed down to stereo and feed 2 channels, 4 mics for vocals mixed down to one channel, which leaves 3 for bass, piano and guitar.

My mixer is an ancient Yamaha MX12/4 that can be found for $200 or less.

There's a couple limitations on the setup that have me puzzled. The Katana does not have a direct out, but a headphones/line out, so you can't record that direct without shutting off the speaker. Of course, it and the drums are probably so loud the mic recording will be primarily those. If you don't have a PA, how does anyone hear a vocal, or is it just instrumentals? Similar problem about the direct recording of the digital piano. I'm assuming (hoping) it has a separate line out, and not limited to a headphone/line like the Katana, because then your options get a bit more limited. And, is there a bass? I didn't read that in the OP, or is it also getting plugged into the Katana?

The H6 will allow you to control the headphone/monitor mix independently of the record levels, so you can control what goes to the camera that way, but you'll have to watch levels closely.

I'm kind of siding with the small PA contingent here because it can give you a place to plug in the keys, even a bass and vocal mic, and you can take that "live" mix to your DSLR. Much as I liked my H6, it's fairly limited, based on the few years I used mine. As others suggested, the used market has lots of options for mixers, and there are inexpensive powered speakers, even 1 speaker, that would elevate the sound of the keys/bass/whatever.

All the band members need to hear themselves and all need to hear each other. Until the equipment setup allows that to happen I don't think you can make a satisfactory recording. The mixer for just one thing would allow the keys player to hear themselves on headphones and a bit of everyone else. If you are buying at least one set of headphones get 'keys' a set of 'closed back' cans. I am sure many here can make suitable recommendations?
My closed-backs are the Audio Technica ATH-50x. I only use them for tracking (open-backs and monitors for mixing etc) and I'm more than satisfied. They also make a good budget alternative (ATH-m20x) which I'll tentatively say is good.

Back