Holy SH#^. I am so happy with our new song I can't stand it!

89gtsleeper

Ok, so here she is. This is our newest track. We just did the tracking live in our bassist, Eric's living room. This hasn't been mixed at all yet. Just set the faders in the right ballpark. Slapped a comp and limiter on the guitar, and on the master bus. Total of 6 channels, recorded live in 1 room. No pre-amps. No outboard gear of any kind. Just running the mics into a Tascam US-1641 interface into Logic 8.

Trying out the new Vox AC-50 I got a week ago. Never recorded with it before. This was the first time I've used it's effects loop. Likle the way it makes my delays sound at around 1:00 on this track. When the riff comes in. Guitar was recorded with AKG Perception 200 close-mic'd about 8-12 inches from the amp. Guitar amp was completely surronded with couch pillows so the guitar's condensor wouldn't pick up too much of the drums and vice versa.

Bass was recorded direct from the DI of his Genz-Benz head.

Only 4 mics on the drums. They're total value new is about 150-200 bucks... maybe..
Apex 190, MXL 991 for overheads....
Some cheapo supraphonic dynamic on snare top... don't even know where this one came from. Total P.O.S.
Super cheapo Audio Technica Kick drum mic. Think they're like 30-40 bucks.

What do you guys think? Honestly? I know there's no vocals yet, and I'd like to double track a few things on guitar with a different amp. Maybe a Fender 4x10 Deville with a Tele...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=908555

I like it...good solo and hook..heard a lot worse quality with a lot more expensive gear..

got a real funky side to it...

i can hear the vocals in my head :)

Hey thanks man. I'll have an actual mix up in a few days, like I said,. we just tracked it out. I have confidence the mix with vocals will just be killer. Hooks-a-plenty!

Decent sound considering the gear you used. I'd say there's some cloudiness to it, I attribute that to the mics but overall you got a decent sound. For example the snare could use some more high/snap/crack. Great job playing for live also. Three piece is a tough deal to sound full but I think this manages to do it the way you recorded it...

I agree. With the equipment you have, you're doing a great job. Just keep adding to it and spend wisely! Sounds like you've got talent.

Not bad, the guitar sounds overly compressed squeezed though:)

the drums need to come out more, maybe some more oh`s as well.
Bass was kinda big maybe shave some eq on it, could give the mix some more air:)

Thanks peeps. Granted, like I said, this song has not been mixed at all yet. This was just after tracking. I know whaat you're talking about with the overly squeezed sound on the guitar. That's kind of what I want out of it. I justed haven't had time to adjust it quite yet. I need to get the compressor dialed in first, then do all the "squeezing" with a limiter on it. I like to put the threshold way down low, but let some extra gain hit it on the louder parts. At the moment, the whole thing is just kinda crunched down. This will sound completely different after an hour or so of work on it tonight. I'll keep you all posted. Wanted to give you an idea of what I was working with initially. Will run some parallel compression on the snare, and prob the kick. Bass needs some EQing. Levels need to be set. There will prob be some keys on one section, and def an extra guitar or two. It will have a totally different sound. Stay tuned.

Nice chops

Cool guitar chops man, guitar-wise, kind of reminds me of a cross between lenny kravitz, u2 and steve lukather... I couldn't comment too much on the drums, out of all, the kick perhaps sounds a little muffled and the snare lacks a bit of snap but as you say, its not been mixed yet...

Good effort man! :-)
Ben.

That's pretty good. Nice guitar tones. Nice playing by everyone for a live take. I won't comment on the mix cuz you aint done yet. Just keep up the good work.

Nice work, man. I like the guitars.

Mix issues have already been commented on, I won't belabor the point.

thanks for posting.

Cool 89! The guitar actually sounds like some good old psychedelic California guitar- similar tones were used by Country Joe and the Fish. I often use the AKG C2000B for a cab mic, and the Perception worked quite well for you. What kind of floor was the drummer on? It sounds like the snare was getting sucked up by carpet. I had that problem, and wound up sticking the drummer on one of those hard plastic carpet protectors they use in cubicles in offices. It made a world of difference in the overhead sound. Keep up the good work. I'm inspired now- think I'll go take some acid.-Richie

Pretty cool man, very solid recording for everyone playing live at once. I'm looking forward to hearing the finished mix of it. Make sure to give the kick a little boost in the high mid range to avoid it blending with the bass guitar.

Cool 89! What kind of floor was the drummer on? It sounds like the snare was getting sucked up by carpet. I had that problem, and wound up sticking the drummer on one of those hard plastic carpet protectors they use in cubicles in offices. It made a world of difference in the overhead sound. Keep up the good work. I'm inspired now- think I'll go take some acid.-Richie

You're right on. That's the main thing I don't like about recording where we are right now, the carpet sucks the life out of everything. I actually have one of those plastic carpet thingies somewhere. I was thinking about bringing in a sheet or two of plywood to put under the drums. Do you guys really think it will help? Thanks so much.

Yes. It will help. Get something hard under the drummer, and until then, put another mic under the snare, pointed up, and reverse the phase on that track Trust me on this one.-Richie

Nice groovy tune, man, the playing is superb.
Considering you recorded live you're definitely on the right track. A big improvement would be the drum sound. If you want a good example of what a real kit should sound like, listen to anything here in the clinic from Greg L and Rami. Very good track!

Joey :):):):)

Back