Holy Moses That Kick!

BeniRose

I was watching this video a friend posted of a band I had never heard of and then all the sudden it hit me. The best kick sound I've ever heard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-LurPNxdZE

Around 1:23, there's a solo kick that just rattles my brain in the best way possible. It's so deep. It's so boomy. It's so raw. It's so good! I'm sure a lot of how good this kick sounds is the drum itself, likely a well tuned, well cared for kick drum. I'm wondering what people think makes this sound so good. Do you think the kick had a sound hole? Sounds like the mic has to be in the kick to sound that big. Maybe a kickport? Also, what bout compression, eq, or reverb on that thing? I just want to know everything about that kick!!! From the drum to the chain to the processing!

Very natural sweet sound. You should sample the solo'd kick :D
To me it sounds like the mic is outside of the kick. To me it sounds like a 22 or maybe even a 20 with not a lot of muffling. Definitely a resonant head on there. No idea if its ported. As shown in the video there is a lot of nice analog gear that this mix is running through.

It's more than likely the 'white tape with words' lol.
Really good sound! To me it sounds like it's a lot in how it's played and tuning has a lot to do with it, of course. In my experience, kicks tend to resonate a little longer when the velocity is lower and there isn't a lot of dampening. Some drummers pack the kicks full of pillows and foam to take that boomyness and keep the punch. As far as the position of the kick mic, not positive, but I would guess it was on the outside and centered or maybe just off center... I'm not a veteran though. A very fitting sound with the rest of the song.

Back